R.I.P. John "Marmaduke" Dawson

Jahfin

Oh fuck that is really bad news.. Only 64 years old, what a shame. I love The New Riders of the Purple Sage. Jahfin, you were the one to introduce me to them, I thank you for that, great band! The first couple of records is amazing.

Love the New Riders, and anything any of their members was ever associated with. That's a group who knows how good, pure music is done! I've heard they're still great to see, even though Dawson has not been with them for some time.

Hey, Jethro, you're actin' crazy as a clown

Nobody feels like workin', when Panama Red is back in town!

That comes from a great LP. I don't own much vinyl by the band, but I think a tribute weekend is in store. I own nothing on CD, so maybe I'll pick something up. I checked my concert dates. Both shows at the legendary Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. Dates were 10/24/74 and 5/15/76.

That comes from a great LP. I don't own much vinyl by the band, but I think a tribute weekend is in store.

I knew someone who had the album, and the cover had a cartoon of the Adventures of Panama Red inside. It was, of course, a favorite for rolling bones on.

Oh fuck that is really bad news.. Only 64 years old, what a shame. I love The New Riders of the Purple Sage. Jahfin, you were the one to introduce me to them, I thank you for that, great band! The first couple of records is amazing.

Yeah, the earliest records are great. There's even some very good stuff on the latter ones but they are a bit spotty in places. I haven't heard it yet but I understand the new one they've just released is pretty good. I've never seen them in any incarnation so I'm looking very forward to their show here next month.

I'll always be thankful for N.R.P.S. because they, along with Commander Cody, Pure Prairie League, Goose Creek Symphony, the Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. were my introduction to what was then known as "country rock".