OASIS OF THE SEAS -- Largest Passenger Ever !

The Rover

Hi Mangani

I look at it in a different way. Stopping at many ports for a relatively short period of time lets you kind of "try out" a place to see if you like it and want to come back again for a more prolonged stay. Nothing worse than spending alot of money to stay at a place and find out that you don't like it there.

Hi BUCK'EYE' DOC,

I guess I understand what you are saying here. I suppose that is true for stopoffs where you can get the feel of a place. But still, it would probably just makes it worse for me. You know, kind of like all these places are within touching distance.........and you can't explore further coz you have to move off back on the ship. :(

In Alaska, we took a train trip into the interior of Alaska and Canada, visited old gold mines, saw beautiful nature and wildlife. We also took a small boat and explored the fjords of Alaska, near Ketchikan.

How long were you docked for in the port areas there????

I can't tell you how many interesting explorative trips that I have taken from cruises. I swam with dolphins and sting rays, I have explored ancient ruins, midievil castles (Rhodes, Greece), climbed glaciers, and lots, lots more (I have a headache today and am not thinking clearly, can't remember them all). I never stay in port and go shopping, as alot of people do. It just doesn't interest me.

I can understand that, and besides, it's not always the case that the port stop is all that interesting so you really have to have an excursion to make the stop worthwhile. I guess though that personally I like to do my own thing in my own time and not be rushed by having to be back on the ship at a certain time. I don't really like excursions as such (as part of a pre booked tour) which is what most cruise lines offer. If I stopped off at a place in Alaska or whatnot I would probably want to hike that mountain over there at so and so location off my own steam and initiative and I suppose things like that just aren't possible with a cruise as you just don't get the time.

I can't think of an easier or cheaper way to have all of these adventures except on a cruise.

True. There is that. Mind you, a bus ticket or a train ticket with unlimited travel is another cool way of either passing through or stopping off at various new locations. That way you actually get to go THROUGH all these different countries. :) I would recommend land travel too. Flexible and at your own timetable/programme plan.

Edited by Mangani

• 4 years later...

I wouldnt turn down a caribbean cruise if offered one for free but being effectly stuck in a floating hotel for most of my holiday doesnt really appeal, far less chance to explore new landscapes and cultures.

My thoughts exactly. smile.gif

One of my best friends will be on a cruise with this ship next January. I don't envy her at all. unsure.gif

I couldn't agree more. I've only been on one cruise -- through the Caribbean to Mexico -- and it was awful -- I felt so bored and confined on the ship. I might consider cruising the Alaskan coast one day when I get older, but for me, there is no substitute for good, old-fashioned independent travel.