The Drum in Brum

Conneyfogle

Led Zeppelin short clip Drum in Brum + other BBC Zep stuff

Heavy Metal Britannia

from 9pm Friday 5th BBC4 then BBC iplayer

Documentary features Dazed and Confused

Nigel Planer narrates a documentary which traces the origins and development of British heavy metal from its humble beginnings in the industrialised Midlands to its proud international triumph.

In the late 60s a number of British bands were forging a new kind of sound. Known as hard rock, it was loud, tough, energetic and sometimes dark in outlook. They didn't know it, but Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and, most significantly, Black Sabbath were defining what first became heavy rock and then eventually heavy metal.

Inspired by blues rock, progressive rock, classical music and high energy American rock, they synthesised the sound that would inspire bands like Judas Priest to take metal even further during the 70s.

By the 80s its originators had fallen foul of punk rock, creative stasis or drug and alcohol abuse. But a new wave of British heavy metal was ready to take up the crusade. With the success of bands like Iron Maiden, it went global.

Contributors include Lemmy, Sabbath's Tony Iommi, Ian Gillan from Deep Purple, Judas Priest singer Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden and Saxon's Biff Byford.

(Just watched this, and very good it was too, some Ten years gone at the end was a nice surprise)

Clips & Music played

From 10.30

Heavy Metal Britannia at the BBC

Performances from the BBC archive, including Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

From 11pm

Iron Maiden: Live in Concert

A 60-minute concert filmed in different cities around the world in early 2008.

For the record, Zep do not feature very much in this film.

(Quite rightly in my opinion, as they were never a metal band, despite having a hand in inspiring the genre)

However, it was pretty well made & interesting - a cut above some of the hack job documentories I've seen. warch it to see a filma bout metal, but don't expect much Zeppelin.

For the record, Zep do not feature very much in this film.

(Quite rightly in my opinion, as they were never a metal band, despite having a hand in inspiring the genre)

However, it was pretty well made & interesting - a cut above some of the hack job documentories I've seen. warch it to see a film about metal, but don't expect much Zeppelin.

Hi Huw,

I found it most entertaining, and very very funny, now i know what my Nan and Grandad found so weird about the Fashion of the 70s. :lol:

Yea and Led Zeppelin were not featured much in the film, maybe because Black Sabbath were the true Inventors of Heavy Metal, and i would say with all honesty that Led Zeppelin didn't have any influence on their Music whatsoever.

Regards, Danny

Hi Huw,

I found it most entertaining, and very very funny, now i know what my Nan and Grandad found so weird about the Fashion of the 70s. :lol:

Yea and Led Zeppelin were not featured much in the film, maybe because Black Sabbath were the true Inventors of Heavy Metal, and i would say with all honesty that Led Zeppelin didn't have any influence on their Music whatsoever.

Regards, Danny

In hindsight i should've put it in other bands/music thread, but as it had a little bit of Zep and some references I put it here, :slapface:

Archived