Another wonder of the 70's

aeonblue

I was looking for some music to get a little boost and i found some albums that i haven't listened for some time, one of them was 1973's Birds of Fire of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. This is a Jazz/Rock-borderline band featuring John McLaughlin on the guitar, wich is in my opinion, one of the best guitar players in the world. It's amazing how rich and varied was the musical scene in those times, all these bands including of course Led Zeppelin producing awesome albums, in my case i would have gone nuts like a kid on a candy store buying records and going to concerts. If you lived in the 70's you might remember this band, if you were not that lucky i strongly recommend it. It's very psychedelic and complex, if you like Jimi Hendrix or the sound of Santana in Caravanserai, to give you and idea, you might like it...

Was lucky enough to see the original incarnation of the MO and would have to rate it as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. JM was amazing but Billy Cobham and Jerry Goodman took the show somewhere I'd never been before. Even though I'd been a fan of Miles Davis etc for many years prior I'd never really experienced live" fusion " untill this gig. It completely altered my musical taste and outlook !

As i said i would have gone nuts if i had the opportunity to see them live, and other bands as well, you were lucky indeed. And like you said the drums and the violin take the band to another level. Well, the nearest experience we will have of the way they played is Between Nothingness and Eternity, that is (like ninelives said) an awesome live album. Now that i remember, if you like McLaughlin and you like fusion you might like Fusion One or Trio of Doom... wink.gif

As i said i would have gone nuts if i had the opportunity to see them live, and other bands as well, you were lucky indeed. And like you said the drums and the violin take the band to another level. Well, the nearest experience we will have of the way they played is Between Nothingness and Eternity, that is (like ninelives said) an awesome live album. Now that i remember, if you like McLaughlin and you like fusion you might like Fusion One or Trio of Doom... wink.gif

Thanks ! I've got a weak spot for jazz/funk/blues fusion that just never seems to get satisfied biggrin.gif

Was lucky enough to see the original incarnation of the MO and would have to rate it as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. JM was amazing but Billy Cobham and Jerry Goodman took the show somewhere I'd never been before. Even though I'd been a fan of Miles Davis etc for many years prior I'd never really experienced live" fusion " untill this gig. It completely altered my musical taste and outlook !

Must have been amazing! Billy Cobham is a fantastic musician. Another great album John McLaughlin did was "Love, Devotion & Surrender" with Carlos Santana. Stellar take on Coltrane's "Love Supreme". I saw McLaughlin's "Shakti' a few years ago which was quite good but never got to see Mahavishnu.

I was looking for some music to get a little boost and i found some albums that i haven't listened for some time, one of them was 1973's Birds of Fire of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. This is a Jazz/Rock-borderline band featuring John McLaughlin on the guitar, wich is in my opinion, one of the best guitar players in the world. It's amazing how rich and varied was the musical scene in those times, all these bands including of course Led Zeppelin producing awesome albums, in my case i would have gone nuts like a kid on a candy store buying records and going to concerts. If you lived in the 70's you might remember this band, if you were not that lucky i strongly recommend it. It's very psychedelic and complex, if you like Jimi Hendrix or the sound of Santana in Caravanserai, to give you and idea, you might like it...

yea, Mahavishnu Orchestra was definitely hot back in the 70's. Billy Cobham was the drummer of choice in fusion. Another group that i loved was a band called U.K. with Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth, Eddie Jobson and John Wetton. I loved their debut album. Still sounds great to this day.

Must have been amazing! Billy Cobham is a fantastic musician. Another great album John McLaughlin did was "Love, Devotion & Surrender" with Carlos Santana. Stellar take on Coltrane's "Love Supreme". I saw McLaughlin's "Shakti' a few years ago which was quite good but never got to see Mahavishnu.

It was amazing ! I'd heard Jerry Goodmans work with The Flock pror to MO but there is nothing like a live performance to leave a lasting impression. Then just when I was getting a grip on it all, along came Jean Luc Ponty !

It was amazing ! I'd heard Jerry Goodmans work with The Flock pror to MO but there is nothing like a live performance to leave a lasting impression. Then just when I was getting a grip on it all, along came Jean Luc Ponty !

Ponty is great too - some of his albums are a bit too "pop" for me but Aurora - classic stuff.

And of course there's Al DiMeola :)

Yes it did!!!

Al Di Meola....Jean Luc Ponty....i'm dribbling.....

I'm wondering if you like Weather Report also....

Not a huge fan of Weather Report but certainly, they were a band that I had to give a listen to along the way. Jaco was incredible though !

Yes it did!!!

Al Di Meola....Jean Luc Ponty....i'm dribbling.....

I'm wondering if you like Weather Report also....

Heavy Weather is a great album. Beyond that, I can't say I'm a huge fan.

How about Chick Corea and Return to Forever?

Heavy Weather is a great album. Beyond that, I can't say I'm a huge fan.

How about Chick Corea and Return to Forever?

Well i have to say that i like Chick Corea more with his Akoustic Band, i think that is a little bit unappreciated... biggrin.gif

Well i have to say that i like Chick Corea more with his Akoustic Band, i think that is a little bit unappreciated... biggrin.gif

I saw him without Return to Forever doing more classical jazz and he was phenomenal but I'm partial to the fusion stuff with him.

I saw him without Return to Forever doing more classical jazz and he was phenomenal but I'm partial to the fusion stuff with him.

And in the "Kashmir mood", have you heard Trilok Gurtu?

They don't sound familiar - what are they like?

Trilok Gurtu is an Indian Percussionist that makes a mix of fusion and other genres. He has played with the greats. I recommend you the 97's album "The Glimpse".

Trilok Gurtu is an Indian Percussionist that makes a mix of fusion and other genres. He has played with the greats. I recommend you the 97's album "The Glimpse".

Sounds like something I would like. I shall look into them - thanks!

Archived