Sir Elton John live in Reading, PA 4/30/10

Wolfman

Last night I saw one of the best concerts I've seen in years, Sir Elton John at the Sovereign Bank Arena in Reading, PA. What a great show!!!! The last time I saw him live was all the way back in the 80's at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. The last tour he wore costumes. I've been wanting to see him again but he always seemed to be with Billy Joel. Well the wait was well worth it. I was ten rows from the stage. He came on right at 8pm and played till 11pm (24 songs). Elton John is one of the true gods of rock and truly proved it last night. Nothing but the hits. Elton obviously can jam and he really showed it on a twenty-minute blowout in "Rocket Man". The band was fantastic with the Nigel Olsson on drums, and the legendary Davey Johnstone playing various guitars including a very cool Les Paul with a multi-colored custom painting on it. He had some sweet solos too. "Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" is by far my favorite song by him so it was a real pleasure that was the opener. Sir Elton really played up to the crowd and I was surprised that before the encores that he autographed a bunch of stuff for people in the first row (including an 8-track, a large poster, a purse, and even a platform shoe :D). I was really moved by certain songs like "Levon" and "Tiny Dancer". It's amazing how live music can affect your psyche. You hear these songs on the radio and enjoy them but nothing compares to hearing them live (esp. since EJ and the band really expanded the length of a lot of the songs by jamming out). It was a real honor to see Elton live and up close. THE ENERGY IN THAT BUILDING LAST WAS AMAZING. It was like seeing him in the 70's. I honestly couldn't sleep last night after the show. Definitely in my top twenty now. Here's the setlist(which couldn't have been better imo):

1. Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding

2. Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)

3. Levon

4. Madman Across the Water

5. Tiny Dancer

6. Philadelphia Freedom

7. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

8. Daniel

9. Rocket Man

10. I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues

11. Someone Saved My Life Tonight

12. Take Me to the Pilot

13. Something About the Way You Look Tonight

14. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

15. Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word

16. Candle in the Wind

17. Honky Cat

18. Burn Down the Mission

19. Bennie and the Jets

20. The Bitch Is Back

21. I'm Still Standing

22. Crocodile Rock

23. Your Song (Encore)

24. Circle Of Life(Encore)

Sounds like a good concert, Wolfman.

I saw Elton in concert a few years ago, and he played most of the same songs that he played at your concert.

Elton was the only performer, no band, only him and his piano. It was totally acoustic. He sounded great!

He had a lot of interaction with the audience, too. He is a great performer and has alot of great songs.

Glad that you enjoyed the concert!

Archived