Studio Recording

Moxie

I met a retired studio tech from England that had recorded with Led Zep in 1971 through 1975-76.

He told me that Jimmy page while making an alblum would use only Fender Strats and other Fender guitars,Because of clarity and less distortion.

Jimmy used the Gibson on stage because of his sloppyness and better sound at louder decibles.

IS THIS TRUE ?

I think this would be something alot of people want to know.

Thank you !

I met a retired studio tech from England that had recorded with Led Zep in 1971 through 1975-76.

He told me that Jimmy page while making an alblum would use only Fender Strats and other Fender guitars,Because of clarity and less distortion.

Jimmy used the Gibson on stage because of his sloppyness and better sound at louder decibles.

IS THIS TRUE ?

Thank you !

I'd never heard anything to the effect of Page ONLY using Strats in the studio. In any case, it isn't true. If you're correct on the years, then the tech was possibly around for Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti. Presence was recorded in Munich, not England, so unless he remembers going to Munich, then he wasn't there. In any case, it's been known for years that the Fender twelve string was used on Stairway, the Fender Tele was used for the Stairway solo, and there was a bit of Stratocaster/Tele on both Physical Graffiti and Presence, as well as on HOTH and ITTOD. Those guitars have been revealed in print by Page going back years and years. Just as it's been known that Page used the Tele for the first album, the Tele and Les Paul for Zep II, the Les Paul and other guitars for Zep III and Zep IV, and so on and so forth.

Onstage, Page was synonymous with the Les Paul and the Doubleneck, but in the studio he used a wide variety of tools, including Fenders, Martins, Harmony, Danelectro, Vox, and of course Gibsons.

IS THIS TRUE ?

Thank you !

No. That was Joe Walsh.

ALthough Jimmy Page has used the Strat on tracks like The Crunge, For Your Life, In the Evening etc, he also used his Les Paul (quite a bit) and the Telecaster. (Stairway Solo for example) He probably used the Les Paul on recordings the most. (Except LZ1 which was a Telecaster and a little Danelectro)

Joe Walsh was quoted in interviews that he used Fender Strats and Teles for recording and Les Pauls and other guitars with humbucking pickups live.