Houses of the Holy lyrics

Roger

Does anyone have a good answer for what Robert sings after "will you heed the master's call?"

I never really thought about it much, but always thought it was something like "sliding down"

Online it's written as "Satan man" or "Satan and man" and I'm not really sure that's correct either.

Unfortunately I don't have live versions to listen to and compare. Has anyone heard this performed live or heard a cover that makes sense?

(I'm not getting preachy or can't believe it's Satan man, it's just that those lyrics don't really seem to be what he's singing; but I could be wrong.)

All I will say is I find the interpretation below to be intriguing, but would add "angel on my shoulder" is possibly a reference to a guardian angel losing the battle.

bubezleeb

02-15-2006

I'm pretty sure this song is satirical commentary directed toward a (younger) woman who is continuously falling for men who only use her for sex (and then dump her). Most of it is sung by the man to the woman. Stanza one (movies) is obvious beginning-of-shallow-relationship stuff. Second stanza (houses of the holy) is advancing the "relationship" to showing off the rock star lifestyle, hanging out at the studio, etc. "Satan's daughter" is an obviously desirable pet name for any groupie. Third stanza is just foreplay. I'm not sure about the "angel on my shoulder," but I'm fairly certain I know what the "sword of gold" in his hand is. Fourth stanza is sex and orgasm. The Satan references there are probably just the connection between sex and the devil. She is dumped between the fourth and fifth stanzas. The fifth and sixth stanzas are still being sung to her, but now from a new man. He sings about understanding her pain... then he offers to take her to the movies. She is about to enter the cycle again.

Archived