Record Store Day 2011

Jahfin

Thanks so much! I will paying my friend, Mick, a visit at his "home away from home" in Upton, MA. I try to stop in as often as I can, as I am building my vinyl collection once again. Still looking for the other "Wilbury's" LP...

Rock on.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Vinyl District blog:

In The News: Big Star’s Third Remastered Pressing Includes 5 Golden Tickets!

BY RACHEL HURLEY

We’ve got a brand new pressing of Big Star’s Third on 180gm vinyl to be released on Record Store Day! This is the Test Pressing Edition that commemorates the original 14-song version of this album among albums and comes stuffed with replicas of the studio tracking sheets and lead sheets. This limited edition is being cut from the original assembly reel, on the same lathe at legendary Ardent Studios in Memphis and by the very same engineer who cut it the first time, Mr. Larry Nix! Pressed on high quality vinyl at RTI, this should be the definitive version of this album.

176891_161506180573010_117454141644881_359686_5793074_o.jpg

Randomly inserted into this limited edition run (1,000 for the US, 1,000 for Europe) will be five copies of the original test pressing from ’75 courtesy of Big Star’s Jody Stephens—signed by Jody, Larry Nix and John Fry of the original Ardent Records. You KNOW how hard these are to come by! All we ask, is that if you’re one of the lucky five to find an original in your package, please send us a picture of it, or of you and it, or of it and your favorite stuffed animal. We’ll post the photo on our Big Star page so you have bragging rights and we know they’ve all landed in a happy, loving home.

-Omnivore Records

Well, don't know about you but I am beyond broke after splurging on Record Store Day, nay, weekend as I picked up some goodies on Sunday as well as Saturday.

Sacrificing sleep I got down to the Hollywood Amoeba early in the morning before the line got crazy long. After Amoeba, made my way east to Rockaway Records then ended my day at Canterbury's. Sunday brought another visit to Amoeba's followed by trips to Poobah's and Penny Lane's out in Pasadena.

After going nuts buying records, and with the Robert Plant show this week, looks like it'll be water and gruel for a few days. Hope your RSD was fun...here now is a list of my RSD booty:

1. 13th Floor Elevators "Wait for my Love" 7" green vinyl

2. Beach Boys "Good Vibrations/Heroes & Villains" 2x10" vinyl

3. Big Star "Third" Test pressing edition(but NO golden ticket) 12" vinyl

4. Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" Collector's edition 10" pink vinyl

5. Crowded House "North America Travelougue 2010" 3 CDs

6. Decemberists "Live at Bull Moose" CD

7. Deerhoof "Friend Opportunity" 12" vinyl

8. Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu "Almost Xiu Xiu, Almost Deerhoof" 7" vinyl

9. Deerhunter "Memory Boy" 7" white vinyl

10. Bob Dylan "Brandeis University 1963" 12" vinyl

11. Karen Elson "Vicious/In Trouble w/ the Lord" 7" clear vinyl

12. Flaming Lips "Heady Nuggs:First 5 WB Records 1992-2002" Vinyl box set

13. Fleet Foxes "Helplessness Blues/Grown Ocean" 12" vinyl

14. Charlotte Gainsbourg "Memoir/Becoming a Jackal" 7" vinyl

15. John Hammond "So Many Roads" 12" vinyl

16. Mississippi John Hurt "The Immortal" 12" vinyl

17. International Submarine Band w/Gram Parsons "Safe at Home" 12" vinyl + 7" single

18. Skip James "Today!" 12" vinyl

19. Jenny & Johnny/Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris "Love Hurts" 7" vinyl

20. Lady Gaga "Born this Way" 12" picture disc

21. Mastodon "Live at the Aragon" 2x12" vinyl + DVD

22. Mastodon/ZZ Top "Just Got Paid" 7" vinyl

23. Nirvana "Hormoaning" Aus/NZ tour edition. 12" vinyl

24. of Montreal "The Past Is A Grotesque Animal" 12" vinyl

25. OFF! "Live at Generation Records" 7" vinyl

26. Tom Petty "Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers" 12" white vinyl

27. Tom Petty "You're Gonna Get It!" 12" blue vinyl

28. Pink Floyd "London 66/67" 12" white vinyl

29. R.E.M. "R.E.M. THREE:First 3 Singles from Collapse Into Now" 7" set

30. RHCP/Ramones "Havana Affair" 7" vinyl

31. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez "Telesterion" 2 CDs

32. Ryan Adams "Class Mythology EP" 2x7" yellow and orange vinyl + poster

33. Sonic Youth "Whore's Moaning Aus/NZ tour edition" 12" vinyl

34. Television "Live at the Old Waldorf" 2x12" white vinyl

35. The Yardbirds "Goodnight Sweet Josephine" 7" vinyl

36. Various Artists "Follow Me Down:Vanguard's Lost Psychedelic Era 1966-1970" 2x12" vinyl

Not to seem greedy but there were quite a few items I wanted to get but were either already sold out or unavailable at the location...the Velvet Underground and White Stripes and Vivian Girls singles, Os Mutantes, and the 45rpm vinyl version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" among others.

But all-in-all, one of my better RSD scores...if only I could've scored one of those "golden ticket" Big Stars!

P.S. Did Neil actually purchase that "It's A Beautiful Day" record or was he just browsing? I'd have thought he already would have a copy.

Not to seem greedy but there were quite a few items I wanted to get but were either already sold out or unavailable at the location...the Velvet Underground and White Stripes and Vivian Girls singles, Os Mutantes, and the 45rpm vinyl version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" among others.

Schoolkids had the two LP version of Rumours, the girl behind me in line bought a copy. I went back the next day and all of those were gone but there were a couple single LP versions left. From what I have read, it wasn't a RSD exclusive so you should be able to order a copy.

P.S. Did Neil actually purchase that "It's A Beautiful Day" record or was he just browsing? I'd have thought he already would have a copy.

I have no idea but I wondered the same thing. The photo was posted on the RSD Facebook page.

• 3 years later...

Archived