2011 Americana Music Association Award Nominees

Jahfin

From NoDepression.com:

by Kim Ruehl

As luck would have it, I'm in New York City this week for a number of reasons. But, today, it just so happened that the Americana Music Association was holding an event at the Gibson Showroom uptown, just west of the south end of Central Park, to announce the nominees for its 2011 Americana Music Awards.

The event was really fantastic. In case you didn't have a chance to watch the live stream (which Kyla posted here earlier), it was just a small gathering of industry folks in a recording studio uptown. T Bone Burnett swung by to accept an overdo award. Levon Helm sat in with an all-star band of past Americana Music Award winners. Benmont Tench accompanied on piano, Jim Lauderdale did some tunes on guitar, and Rosanne Cash delivered a terrific rendition of "Long Black Veil" from her 2010 AMA Award-Winning album The List. The Civil Wars were also on hand to play a song, although I was running late and unfortunately arrived just as they were finishing up. Then, all the artists got together to perform "The Weight." This was, no doubt, the most incredible moment of the event, with Helm dropping his natural soul on one of the verses, before handing the next one to Cash.

Once the nominees were announced, everyone gathered for cornbread and drinks in the control room, while the artists posed for a photo op. In all, a wonderful kickoff event to what will, no doubt, be an even more memorable week this fall in Nashville. The 2011 Americana Music Honors & Awards will be handed out during the Americana Music Festival and Conference this Oct. 12-15 in Nashville Tenn. For more information, visit the AMA Website.

Now, without further ado, this year's nominees:

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Band of Joy Robert Plant

Welder Elizabeth Cook

Harlem River Blues Justin Townes Earle

Blessed Lucinda Williams

ARTIST OF THE YEAR

Buddy Miller

Elizabeth Cook

Hayes Carll

Robert Plant

NEW/EMERGING ARTIST OF THE YEAR

The Civil Wars

Mumford & Sons

Secret Sisters

Jessica Lea Mayfield

SONG OF THE YEAR

"Down by the Water" - The Decemberists

"El Camino" - Elizabeth Cook

"KMAG YOYO" - Hayes Carll

"Harlem River Blues" - Justin Townes Earle

INSTRUMENTALIST OF THE YEAR

Buddy Miller

Gurf Morlix

Kenny Vaughan

Sarah Jarosz

Will Kimbrough

DUO/GROUP OF THE YEAR

The Avett Brothers

The Civil Wars

Mumford & Sons

Robert Plant & the Band of Joy

Glad to see the Secret Sisters in there. Glad for Robert and Buddy, too, though a tad awkward with them being up against each other.

(When I read that article I genuinely wondered what an "overdo" award was--maybe something technical, like for overdubbing? Then, of course, I realized it was--according to them--an overdue award.)

Archived