Bruce Springsteen will be keynote speaker for SXSW 2012

He loves Austin and he loves music...

Bruce Springsteen will be keynote speaker for SXSW Music

By Joe Gross | Thursday, December 1, 2011, 10:07 AM

Bruce Springsteen will serve as as keynote speaker for the 2012 South By Southwest Music and Media Conference, SXSW announced Thursday.

The keynote takes place on March 15, 2012, at the Austin Convention Center and will be open to Music and Platinum badge holders.

Most SXSW keynote speakers tend to be once-vital artists in the autumn of their careers (Smokey Robinson, Bob Geldof) or seasoned, distinguished vets (Neil Young, Lou Reed — come to think of it, given the Loutallica controversy, he would have been a funny one for ‘12) who play to audiences that are not quite as large as they once were.

Springsteen is neither. He is a veteran artist who can still sell out stadiums, and his music, influential for well over 30 years, has recently roared back to life as a genuine inspiration to indie rockers such as the Hold Steady, the Gaslight Anthem and Titus Andronicus.

2011 was a tough year for Springsteen. E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons, long considered the heart and soul of the storied group, died on June 18 following a stroke.

“Clarence doesn’t leave the E Street Band when he dies,” Springsteen wrote in a heartfelt eulogy. “He leaves when we die.”

Perhaps in that spirit, Springsteen announced November 21 that he and the E Street Band would tour the US and Europe in 2012 for the first time since Clemons’ death. A new studio album is also in the works. (Feel free to start the rumors about a Springsteen gig at SXSW now.)

http://www.austin360...ll_be_keyn.html

Thanks for the post but I hate to sound cynical here..............Clarence lives on in spirit? So he's going to get another guy and just continue to cash the big checks??

I'm old enough to know better but, there goes another sacred cow right out the window.

As far as I know, there hasn't been any confirmation of a new line up of the E Street Band. So, there's no telling if someone is going to be brought in to play sax or if it's going to be guest spots during the tour. I'm sure some sort of information will be made available in the weeks to come though.

Thanks for the post but I hate to sound cynical here..............Clarence lives on in spirit? So he's going to get another guy and just continue to cash the big checks??

I'm old enough to know better but, there goes another sacred cow right out the window.

You're welcome. I understand what you mean but I'm not sure if he's motivated as much by the big paychecks as he is by the need to continue to feel the euphoria some musicians experience (and almost become "addicted" to) when they play in front of adoring, worshipful audiences - I think it would be difficult to walk away from that and go quietly into retirement. Personally, I haven't seen Bruce play live since the years when he was playing the college circuit and small clubs - nothing against the stadium concerts, but those smaller venues "spoiled" me for anything else. In any case, I will go to hear him speak...hope it will be interesting.

There are no "sacred cows" in the music business. ;)

Archived