The Alt.Country (Whatever That Is) Thread

Jahfin

I love the New Riders. It was bands like them, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Goose Creek Symphony, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Steve Goodman and Jerry Jeff Walker back in the 70s that paved the way for my "cowpunk" fandom in the 80s and appreciation of alt.country after that. I'd also have to throw Waylon, Willie and David Allan Coe into the mix along with Leon Russell's Hank Wilson's Back, Volume 1 album. I think it's also fair to say that the some of the country rock leanings from bands like Skynyrd, the Outlaws, the Charlie Daniels Band, the Allmans and the Marshall Tucker Band also played a part.

The first couple albums by the New Riders were really terrific. Poco was the commercially accepted country/rock band at the time but hey, it was the Riders who made listening to twang cool for me and people I knew back then. Commander Cody/Airmen was another great band as you mentioned.

The first couple albums by the New Riders were really terrific. Poco was the commercially accepted country/rock band at the time but hey, it was the Riders who made listening to twang cool for me and people I knew back then. Commander Cody/Airmen was another great band as you mentioned.

Yeah, those early NRPS records are great. I've heard some of the latter day ones and they're also good, just not as good as the early stuff (which seems to be the case with most any band or artist). Poco is also definitely worth a mention, as is Pure Prairie League. Both of those went downhill as the years progressed though with Poco becoming a poor man's Eagles (if indeed there is such a thing) and Pure Prairie League radically altering their sound to try to fit in on country radio in the late 80s. I have no problem recognizing Vince Gill as a great picker but those years he spent with Pure Prairie League are among their worst. Unless folks are a fan of Diamond Rio, Restless Heart and Sawyer Brown, the same cookie-cutter country bands they seemed to be trying to emulate. Back to the New Riders, I saw them a few years ago and they're definitely worth seeing if they breeze through your town. Sad thing is, most of them have passed on. However, the original members that are still part of the group (David Nelson and Buddy Cage) do a very admirable job of capturing the spirit of the band but seem to have more jam band tendencies then the original incarnation of the band which was much more country oriented.

Regarding the discussion Strider and I were having in the Wilco thread about alt.country and how their newer albums have little to nothing to do with that style of music anymore, I thought it fitting to include this clip here. I can't recall the number of times I've been taken to task for my love of alt.country on this board by my detractors, none of whom have ever actually bothered to listen to the music they supposedly hate so much. I give you a Drive-By Truckers song, one that has very little in common with either "alt" or "country". It has much more in common with Crazy Horse than anything else. Take that you deaf, non listening motherfuckers ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival that's held annually out in San Francisco has been mentioned here pretty frequently (mainly due to Robert Plant performing there), I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the passing of the man that put it on (for free, no less), millionaire Warren Hellman. In his honor, lots of veterans of Hardly Strictly got together yesterday out in San Francisco to remember him. The concert was free and streamed live over the internet. More on Hardly Strictly (which will continue this Fall as usual) here.

02/19/2012 - San Francisco, CA

1. The Weight (All-Star Band)

2. Speeches by Warren Hellman's family

3. I'll Fly Away (The Go To Hell Man Clan)

4. Big Rock Candy Mountain (The Go To Hell Man Clan)

The All-Star Band included Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Buddy Miller, David Rawlings, Steve Earle, and Old Crow Medicine Show.

I think I have Deliverin' on CD somewhere. I picked it up out of a budget bin several years back. Recently, a friend of mine was complaining about Poco being played on the Outlaw Country channel on Sirius/XM. Goes to show how opinions can differ so greatly as to what is country and what isn't. Then again, if it was one of their latter day songs (especially from the Legend era) then I could see why one would complain. Some of their material from that era has more in common with latter day Eagles than it does with the early days of Poco, when they were definitely a country (or at least a "country rock") band.

The Gourds at Threadgill's in Austin doing the rarely played "Flamenco Cabaret" from their Bolsa De Agua album.

I would definitely consider Pure Prairie League to be "alt.country", it was just before someone came up with that name. I guess in those days they were referred to as "country-rock", definitely a predecessor to alt.country.

Archived