7/24 – Vancouver, BC @ Orpheum

7/25 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre

7/26 – Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall

7/28 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater

7/29 – Hollywood, CA @ Hollywood Palladium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm liking the new Fiona Apple album "The Idler Wheel..."(no, I'm not going to type out the entire 20+ word title, hehe). I got the deluxe edition with book and dvd.

And I am so happy for the rest of the country that she's out there touring again after so long an absence. One of the pleasures I get to experience living in Los Angeles is Fiona Apple popping by Largo...usually during one of Jon Brion's sets, or the Watkins Family Hour.

I've sat at Largo no more than three feet away from Ms. Apple as she's melted hearts with smoky renditions of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and "My Funny Valentine" and other songs from the Great American Songbook. To see this diminutive shy wisp of a woman nervously step on stage and then hear this voice roar out of her is stunning...a concrete example of how a person can be transformed by the act of performing music.

It is similar to the transformation that Jimmy Page effected from off-stage Jimmy to on-stage Jimmy.

Anyway, Fiona Apple has been hiding her talents for too long from the outside world. It's good that the rest of the world finally gets to experience her again. I am tentatively scheduled to see her this Sunday at the Hollywood Palladium.

I say tentatively because there are multiple things going on this Sunday, so my schedule could change at a whim. Plus, Fiona Apple is playing other concerts in L.A. on her tour, and in venues that have far better sound than the Palladium.

But for those that live in a place where she's only performing once, make sure you don't miss it. It might be another 7 years before she comes around again.

Archived