This is what I pay my licence fee for!

barney2EH

Sudden attack of Delhi Belly last night so no trip to the pub for me, bah! Auntie BBC comes to the rescue however with a brilliant series of programmes about Southern Rock, including a 1hr documentary about how the Allman brothers kicked off the whole Southern Boogie scene. Lynyrd Skynyrd and many other bands quickly followed, giving rock cedibility to an area of the USA previously written off as racist rednecks. Also there was lots of material from the huge BBC "Old Grey Whistle Test" archives, a 70's concert series that always looked like it was filmed in a coal cellar. The highlight was probably a 40 minute BBC concert from Lynyrd Skynyrd with some brilliant slide guitar work. Simply genius. Thanks Auntie beeb for rescuing my Friday.

Barney

Thanks for posting, I wish we could watch that here in the U.S. I was just noticing the Mike Mills quote where he says Skynyrd "didn’t care about making a better world, they just wanted to party”. I know that in his pre-R.E.M. days Mills and drummer Bill Berry played in a number of Southern Rock bands out of Macon, GA so it would seem like he would be aware of their lyrics about gun control ("Saturday Night Special") and that they actively campaigned for Jimmy Carter back in the 70s by playing several benefit concerts with the Allmans, the Marshall Tucker Band and the Charlie Daniels Band. I've also seen footage of a very early version of Lynyrd Skynyrd where they're playing an Earth Day concert in Jacksonville, FL. I know their reputation was that of a party band but they also had other interests which were reflected not just in their songs but also in their actions. In their last days it's also a very well known fact that they had sobered up. I remember reading a quote from Ronnie Van Zant circa the Tour of the Survivors where he said, "this is the first time I've seen our audience in seven years".

One thing that did make me chuckle was the clip of Black Oak Arkansas. Their lead singer moved like a man who hadn't quite made it to the bathroom. Mind you, I could i could identify with that on Friday night. :angel:

Archived