On May 6, 1937 The Hindenburg Disaster: 75 years later

Megalodon

They showed the Hindenburg movie with George C. Scott in it a few days ago on cable TV.

I loved watching the film -- just too see all of the "Zeppelin" references spoken, in print, and in sub-titled remarks. :)

• 7 years later...

I've been to the site of the Hindenburg crash. In 1996, my friend Tom, my dog Duke, and I wanted to set to see if we could go on an adventure and stand on the actual site.

After about an hour's drive, we arrived at a Naval Ar Station. We walked up to the building and asked the man at the desk if we could walk out to the site. He said "Sure" as it happened to be the day ( Wednesday) when the public is allowed to visit. In hindsight, it was very cool of the guy to be so casual about it, but I suppose two young men and their dog looked harmless enough. This was pre-9/11, of course, so things were much more relaxed then.

There's a giant chain in the ground in the shape of an airship where the Hindenburg came to rest. There's also a banner in the shape of an airship denoting the location.

We spent about half an hour there and left. It's quite chilling to stand where you've seen the events of that day taking place.

There's a cool museum there for the public to visit. I wasn't aware of a museum being there at the time. I don't know if we missed it or it was put there after our

Visiting the site now requires calling ahead to put your name on a list.