Roseland NYC - Oct 1999

I went to 2 of the shows at roseland, thanks for sharing photos. I also took a photo of the billboard, marquee sign with page/crowes...but cannot find the photo. I didn't take any photos of the show itself, had a kodak cardboard camera and was working in the city at the time. I had gone to the shows right after work. I called everyone I knew and couldn't get anyone to go to one of these shows. I think being that it was so close to the 98 page/plant shows, people were thinking jimmy page was just back....nobody knew he wouldn't be playin anymore.

I also went to two of the three shows. Shows 1 and 3. First show I watch from the side balcony and the other show I was right up front. I remember that the venue was very strict about filming and recording. They found my video camera and made me hand over the battery. Little did they know that I had a spare battery on me, so I got to film a fair bit of the show. I was thrilled to see Ahmet Ertegun come in a sit right in front of me on the first night. He shook my hand and signed my ticket.

I went to the third show and was the only night of the three that TYG wasn't messed up. It was a great show and was the last time I saw Jimmy play live. I think I've seen Robert about six times since October, 1999. Oh Jimmy....why?

It was a great show and was the last time I saw Jimmy play live. I think I've seen Robert about six times since October, 1999. Oh Jimmy....why?

I don't necessarily think it's lack of wanting by Jimmy. Not being a singer, it's actually a lot harder for him to perform live doing the songs that he made famous. It is, after all, what the crowd would expect. Robert, on the other hand, can, and does, get a revolving set of musicians, and when he wants to throw in a few Zeppelin crowd-pleasing nuggets in his show, he can. And does. A good guitarist can do a pretty good Page-like rendition, whereas it's very difficult to get a singer that can make a Zeppelin song sound like Zeppelin. Page clearly invested his efforts too heavily in a Zep reunion over the years, and probably would have gotten into some kind of solo live work had Robert not kept dropping the occasional hint that he might be interested. He's certainly had many of us and the media hanging on these vague hints over the years. I wonder sometimes if there's an element of deviousness in these hints, getting some kind of perverse pleasure in seeing the reaction? One minute he's saying he can't do a reunion tour because of commitments, but that he's free in a year or two, and then he comes out and says the thought of a reunion is a pain in the pisser.

I also went to two of the three shows. Shows 1 and 3. First show I watch from the side balcony and the other show I was right up front. I remember that the venue was very strict about filming and recording. They found my video camera and made me hand over the battery. Little did they know that I had a spare battery on me, so I got to film a fair bit of the show. I was thrilled to see Ahmet Ertegun come in a sit right in front of me on the first night. He shook my hand and signed my ticket.

That's great about meeting Ahmet Ertegun. The balcony is a nice spot to see a show in the smaller venues...and being roseland is/was a moderate size, probably even better. I was on the floor for both shows, varying spots for first show and right behind the soundboard for the second show. A few of us were talking to the sound guy and he was a new yorker, maybe worked for roseland...but did not seem to be working for jimmy page and black crowes....a hardcore dude with a serious vibe.

I know the record was recorded in Los Angeles, but it seemed like a real New York show to me...because of the sorta ramones like approach to the zep catalogue. Song after song, there were surprises and there was a flow to the shows like the 07 show, without any stretched out songs...but ofcourse not being led zeppelin.

Archived