Did Jones Come Up with the Houses Of The Holy Riff?

RoyFan

Just came across a couple of people on the internet today that said they heard (though unfortunately don't have any specifics)

that Jones came up with the "houses of the holy" riff...

Anyone know anything about this?

Hi I don't think so. HOTH is credited to Page and Plant only.  I'm almost positive Jones came up with the main riff in The Ocean though. Maybe they were thinking of that. All four are credited and it sounds like a bass riff to me.

Had JPJ played any part in the creation of the riff, he would most certainly have received songwriting credit.  His most famous riff that he created was Black Dog.  For many years, I just assumed that this was another of Jimmy's guitar riffs, only to find out Jones was the creator.

Had JPJ played any part in the creation of the riff, he would most certainly have received songwriting credit.

While Jimmy Page was not as bad as the Stones about assigning songwriting credit, he wasn't very generous either. It's agreed upon by Jones and Page that Jones had a decent size part in writing Kashmir (one of the descending bits) but has no songwriting credit on that song.

While Jimmy Page was not as bad as the Stones about assigning songwriting credit, he wasn't very generous either. It's agreed upon by Jones and Page that Jones had a decent size part in writing Kashmir (one of the descending bits) but has no songwriting credit on that song.

I hope that wasn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.  Jimmy had a pretty big reputation as a cheapskate, and splitting credits might have been something he didn't do in those grey areas of song creation.

I hope that wasn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.  Jimmy had a pretty big reputation as a cheapskate, and splitting credits might have been something he didn't do in those grey areas of song creation.

Didn't John Bonham also receive songwriting credit for Kashmir?

Page and Bonham wrote and recorded the guitar and drums while Jones was taking a leave of absence. Jones came in later and added Bass, Mellotron and wrote the string arrangements.. His contributions to Kashmir are what make it their greatest song, but they were added after the initial idea was written and recorded. It sucks but that's the way it's done.

Credits are odd. Sting could write something just strumming his acoustic and humming the vocal melody. Stewart Copeland could play the most interesting parts for the song but it was Sting's original idea that receives all the credit.

The JPJ non credit that bothers me most is Ramble On. His Bass line is melodic and probably the most recognizable part of the song. 

Archived