Anyone have any good GIFS?

greengrass

On 7/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, redrum said:

I wonder if that's a digital effect him hitting the car or is that the fate of a stuntman?

Tarantino to his ultimate credit doesn't do digital effects. In fact he is probably the last director who insists on using actual film and the old film cameras and lenses.

That dent in the car was just good old fashioned Hollywood "magic"--- same as break away balsa wood furniture, or glass bottles make out of hard sugar to look like glass. I'd say they fabricated two door panels out of aluminum sheets and then painted them to match the rest of the 'stunt car'. If they got it in one take, I'd say expert job!

But no, not a digital effect.

41 minutes ago, kipper said:

Tarantino to his ultimate credit doesn't do digital effects. In fact he is probably the last director who insists on using actual film and the old film cameras and lenses.

That dent in the car was just good old fashioned Hollywood "magic"--- same as break away balsa wood furniture, or glass bottles make out of hard sugar to look like glass. I'd say they fabricated two door panels out of aluminum sheets and then painted them to match the rest of the 'stunt car'. If they got it in one take, I'd say expert job!

But no, not a digital effect.

Good for Tarantino. Most digital 'effects' look so phony. The original 'King Kong' animation beats all of them. The film must cost a fortune. Look at the cost of this. You get 3 minutes for 50 feet. Not including processing.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/5284468-Kodak-Tri-X-Reversal-Film-Super-8mm-50-ft.-Cartridge-TXR464

Top 30 King Kong Gif GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

28 minutes ago, redrum said:

Good for Tarantino. Most digital 'effects' look so phony. The original 'King Kong' animation beats all of them. The film must cost a fortune. Look at the cost of this. You get 3 minutes for 50 feet. Not including processing.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/5284468-Kodak-Tri-X-Reversal-Film-Super-8mm-50-ft.-Cartridge-TXR464

Top 30 King Kong Gif GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I hate CGI effects especially in war films. Planes don't fly like they really do in real life (yaw, pitch, roll all wrong). Ocean waves, or the way ships look as they move through water---all look fake. So if it is going to look fake anyway then just go back to using models and/or matted shots with painted backgrounds.

But Hollywood today is ALL ABOUT what China likes to see. Stories don't matter, good dialogue or plot development an option, lots of big explosions, robots, and everything CGI is what THEY like and are willing to pay to see.....or just STEAL through intellectual property theft. China is now 80% of Hollywood's theatrical film market, no wonder all we get today is mainly CRAP from Hollywood. God bless any director (agree with him or not) who tells China to fuck off!

Catch 22 (1970)

Those are all real North American B-25 "Mitchell" bombers used in the film. The film actually rescued most of the current remaining air worthy B 25s from eventual demise as scrap metal to make Chinese toasters out of .

mitchell_takeoff-735x413.jpg

Edited by kipper

4 hours ago, kipper said:

I hate CGI effects especially in war films. Planes don't fly like they really do in real life (yaw, pitch, roll all wrong). Ocean waves, or the way ships look as they move through water---all look fake. So if it is going to look fake anyway then just go back to using models and/or matted shots with painted backgrounds.

But Hollywood today is ALL ABOUT what China likes to see. Stories don't matter, good dialogue or plot development an option, lots of big explosions, robots, and everything CGI is what THEY like and are willing to pay to see.....or just STEAL through intellectual property theft. China is now 80% of Hollywood's theatrical film market, no wonder all we get today is mainly CRAP from Hollywood. God bless any director (agree with him or not) who tells China to fuck off!

Catch 22 (1970)

Those are all real North American B-25 "Mitchell" bombers used in the film. The film actually rescued most of the current remaining air worthy B 25s from eventual demise as scrap metal to make Chinese toasters out of .

mitchell_takeoff-735x413.jpg

A 'happy accident' used in the film.

21 hours ago, redrum said:

A 'happy accident' used in the film.

Pretty cool,  I never knew this.  That shot has been used as stock footage in other films too.

When I was a kid here in SoCal, 20th Century Fox auctioned off a ton of props, costumes, and models used in many films at a huge auction.  A friend of my father's bought a movie model of one of the Japanese mini subs used in Tora, Tora, Tora and for years it was at his model train club in Los Angeles.

Edited by kipper

4 hours ago, kipper said:

Pretty cool,  I never knew this.  That shot has been used as stock footage in other films too.

When I was a kid here in SoCal, 20th Century Fox auctioned off a ton of props, costumes, and models used in many films at a huge auction.  A friend of my father's bought a movie model of one of the Japanese mini subs used in Tora, Tora, Tora and for years it was at his model train club in Los Angeles.

I knew it was real, especially the crash and flying propeller, but I never knew the story either. Those guys were running for their lives. I'd love to be able to go to an auction like that, especially a silent one.