Has anyone

Georgia

In the Daily Mail today there is a very interesting article about The Battle of Evermore

which features the retelling of the Lord of the rings, and a picture of Sandy Denny, and the

history of the song. <_<

Didn't see it Georgia...anything new or interesting in the article?

In the Daily Mail today there is a very interesting article about The Battle of Evermore

which features the retelling of the Lord of the rings, and a picture of Sandy Denny, and the

history of the song. <_<

I think it,s a myth. No rock band, esp. Led Zeppelin, was ever inspired by The Lord of the Rings... :D

i agree with that, now I do believe that they were greatly inspired by welsh legends,such as Owain |Glyndwr, \the welsh prince of Wales in the 14th century, a lot of their songs relate to Castles, magic, legends, just my thoughts,.

I think it,s a myth. No rock band, esp. Led Zeppelin, was ever inspired by The Lord of the Rings... :D

If that's the case why did they reference things like 'Gollum' and 'Ring Wraiths'? Obviously some of the lyrical inspiration came from the LOTR Trilogy...

I disagree ...of course I'm a Tolkien geek, but it's well known that Robert is a fan of the professors works,especially "The Hobbit" (article from 1971 that I no longer posess) and he mentions characters and places specifically in some songs, Gollum, Ring Wraiths, Mordor. His dog's name was "Strider" for goodness sake ! Now, It's also well known that Robert is into Celtic Mythology, he stated once that " No Quarter" was inspired by the border wars between the Scots and the English. It's also said that the lyrics to "Stairway" were inspired by "The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain" by Lewis Spence, which Robert was reading at the time. As for other bands being inspired by JRRT, Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath states that the song " The Wizard" was inspired by Gandalf the Grey, while others in the band say that it was actually inspired by the gent who was supplying their drugs. For what it's worth, here a link to a site that goes a little deeper into the connection between Zep and Tolkien, not that I buy all of it, but interesting none the less. Website P.S. How could I forget "Misty Mountain Hop" !

Time to settle in with a few good books; there is no better season than winter to review history, when the weather keeps you indoors.

Born to a dynasty of prosperous Anglo-Welsh land-owners in North-East Wales, the young Owain ap Gruffydd Fychan studied law in London.

Following the death of his father around 1370, he married Margaret the daughter of Sir David Hanmer, and established himself as the Squire of Sycharth and Glyndyfrdwy.

www.owainglyndwr

Owain Glyndwrs supporters (Plant Owain, the children of Owain) attack Ruthin, Denbigh, Rhuddlan, Flint (where they attacked the English relieving force), Holt, Oswestry and Welshpool.

www.owainglyndwr.info/rebellion

Archived