Phish

Zephyrus

just wondering if anyone out there likes Phish at all. I have to say that they were the first band I ever got interested in and definitely got me listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground and others because of the covers they did. they're still my #1 band (sorry LZ, you're my #2) and I've always found them to embody what I think to be the ultimate band. they've always shunned the spotlight and seemed to always play for music and not money and really went all out to make their shows worth it for the fans. I can think fondly of all the crazy stuff they pulled on stage, all the great shows and albums and it seems like their shows were like fine wines, each one different, and even each year had it's own flair. the sheer number of genres and styles that they covered and the willingness to try anything once, along with their ability to play each other's instruments make them masters of their trade. and I certainly respect their decision to call it quits when they thought they'd gone past their prime. Phish seems to have lived their 21 year career in a fashion that I wish all of my favorite bands did and like almost no other band I know, that's why they're my favorite. so, anyone else out there have any thoughts on Phish??

I remember when the beginnings of the current "jamband" movement were starting to rear their head back in the late 80s/early 90s via groups like Phish, Widespread Panic, Blues Traveler, Col. Bruce Hampton, Dave Matthews, etc. I had a friend that was big into them and had tix to see Phish at the Boathouse in Norfolk circa 1991. We all piled in a car and went up there. This was years before their popularity burgeoned but there were license plates there from all over the U.S. While I enjoyed the show and some of their studio work, I wasn't too taken by them. I still enjoy the occasional cut but never got into them as some of my Deadhead friends did (and do). Once Garcia died it seemed like a lot of them immediately flocked over to the Phish scene. There's nothing the matter with that but it just wasn't my thing. Once Garcia died things just weren't the same to me and still aren't. Thankfully bands like Phish were there to provide sort of a cushion for those that needed it though.

• 1 year later...

I just found out about Phish a year ago, and theyre my favorite band that's relitively current. Trey's got some real chops. I think its just a shame that you dont hear about them in the main stream. Im not saying that anyone shoulnt, but I probably wouldnt put them above Zepp , though.

I remember when the beginnings of the current "jamband" movement were starting to rear their head back in the late 80s/early 90s via groups like Phish, Widespread Panic, Blues Traveler, Col. Bruce Hampton, Dave Matthews, etc. I had a friend that was big into them and had tix to see Phish at the Boathouse in Norfolk circa 1991. We all piled in a car and went up there. This was years before their popularity burgeoned but there were license plates there from all over the U.S. While I enjoyed the show and some of their studio work, I wasn't too taken by them. I still enjoy the occasional cut but never got into them as some of my Deadhead friends did (and do). Once Garcia died it seemed like a lot of them immediately flocked over to the Phish scene. There's nothing the matter with that but it just wasn't my thing. Once Garcia died things just weren't the same to me and still aren't. Thankfully bands like Phish were there to provide sort of a cushion for those that needed it though.

I couldn't have stated it better. That's exactly how I feel.

I just found out about Phish a year ago, and theyre my favorite band that's relitively current. Trey's got some real chops. I think its just a shame that you dont hear about them in the main stream. Im not saying that anyone shoulnt, but I probably wouldnt put them above Zepp , though.

Yeah I agree. Nobody compares to Zep in my opinion. Phish is great though. Probably my second favorite active band after The Black Crowes. :)

Archived