Page LP replica

jsj

I know that Gibson made some Page LPs a few years ago, but they were new guitars with his wiring set up. But did they also make exact aged replicas of his number 1 like has been done with Peter Green’s etc

8.7lbs? Can that be right? That's about 4kg. Aren't Les Paul's supposed to be notoriously heavy? If these have been designed to be much lighter than the originals, what effect will that have on the sound? Not criticising - genuinely interested in how these things work. Excuse my ignorance - I'm a drummer, so I don't actually know anything about music. 😉 

On 2/3/2023 at 10:04 PM, woz70 said:

The price it sold for is on the website. If you take a minute to read the whole thing it gives you loads of info. 

I read the post and saw the price but replied too quickly to make myself clear. I was wondering what their current value is, unless the £20k price is the current price rather than their original price. Thanks for your link, much appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Brigante said:

8.7lbs? Can that be right? That's about 4kg. Aren't Les Paul's supposed to be notoriously heavy? If these have been designed to be much lighter than the originals, what effect will that have on the sound? Not criticising - genuinely interested in how these things work. Excuse my ignorance - I'm a drummer, so I don't actually know anything about music. 😉 

I think they generally weigh about this, 8 - 9 pounds is about normal. They often make them lighter now, with chambered bodies for the folk who can’t hack them. Pesobnally I like a heavy guitar

On 2/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, Brigante said:

My '69 deluxe weighs 9.7lbs, so it's about right for the period, and it's the heaviest guitar I own.  A 9lb guitar hanging on your shoulder for an hour or so can be a bit of a burden.
Newer Les Pauls have weight relief (holes in the body underneath the carved top), or are chambered (specially shaped holes in the body underneath the carved top) to reduce the weight.  Whether or not it significantly changes the sound is a matter for an entire forums worth of discussion - i.e. mostly opinion rather than empirical evidence.

• 1 month later...

Jimmy's #1 doesn't have the complicated wiring. Just 50's with a mod to the bridge pickup. The wiring scheme that he's now known for didn't happen until way into the 80s. Well past any Zeppelin stuff. If it was me I'd buy a regular Gibson sunburst Les Paul and change the pickups and wiring to normal and be done with it. Brandonwound pickups make an excellent JP#1 set. Email them for the proper wiring of the 70s. I'm not sure I remember correctly. I can't see a reason to drop that much cash for his signature especially if you get a custom shop 50's. Buy it from Wildwood guitars or the Gibson Garage as you're sure to get a good one and could return it easily if youre not happy. Wildwood guitar shop is particularly selective in their guitars. Unless you have the money for a JP signature. Which certainly would be great investment as well as bringing you great pleasure. I think Jimmy's #1 is a 1958? No matter, they have 1959's. On this site you can see all their guitars. Plus you could call and ask which one is like Page's. Here is just a random example. These guys are pros and have their guitars personally made or selected by Gibson. They also have just the regular American series which is cheaper but im sure you could have one picked to look the same as Jimmy's.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/82110/wildwood-spec-1958-les-paul-standard-light-aged-6/?cat_id=21825

Edited by KirkD777
Add info.