Jason snare tone

I love the show. I loved Jimmy’s heavy distorted tone and I wish he used that in 1973 and 1985 shows. 
Robert was great also. Jonsey is Jonsey. However, I just didn’t like Jason snare sound.  It didn’t sound meaty. I loved his fathers snare and drum tone in 1975 especially Earls Court. Just listen the the great sound in MD on 5/25. Jason’s sound was like Alex Van Halen like. It was a bit tin like and thin. 
Maybe it’s me ..who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

What you probably don't like is all the effects and treatments that Alan Moulder did during the mixing. In 2013, Moulder said he:
'added samples to beef up the kick and snare with a Native Instruments Battery 3 cell. The great thing about that is that you can put any sample in, with any sample rate, and it works it out. We use a MIDI map, and we can write the velocities in so the samples follow the actual drum recordings sympathetically. The reason we added these samples was for extra clarity and to add low-end weight on the kick drum, and also to add a little bit more body to the snare. I had also set up some drum reverb plug-ins, the Reverb One, the Valhalla Room, and the IK Multimedia Classik CSR Hall reverb, set to 'drums medium hall'. I really like the sound of the IK CSR reverbs, they sound a bit like the old AMS RMX16, with a big, deluxe feel.  I used the Reverb One and Valhalla Room on the kick and snare and also the tom sub. The Valhalla Room is a great plug-in, and it seemed strangely correct to use a plug-in with that name on a Led Zeppelin album! On some songs, the drums reverbs were automated to give the kicks big, explosive reverbs. It was similar with the timpani, which I put through the CSR big reverb, because you want it to sound quite grandiose. I also had additional reverb on the snare, to give it a bit of depth and make it sit in the track. It was more like a colour on an individual sound and to give it its own pocket.'
A huge amount of work seems to have been done on the concert recordings before they were released. This is a pretty exhaustive account of it all:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-mixing-led-zeppelin-reunion

Edited by Brigante