Republican Rock

Big Klu

Did nobody see this story or somebody did and started a thread because of it. Sorry about the length.

It's the article GetTheLedOut mentions in the post below from the first page of this thread. It was posted on the old board but I don't think it has been posted here.

There was a list not too long about about "right wing" rock, but it was just a case of people misreading lyrics REAL badly. Number one on the list was "Won't Get Fooled Again," which as most people know is completely off base. Pete Townshend personally came out and commented on the list saying it was ridiculous.

It's the article GetTheLedOut mentions in the post below from the first page of this thread. It was posted on the old board but I don't think it has been posted here.

Yes i figured that. The list was never meant as true list, but sort of a poke at liberal music and Republicans. Dave Marsh, the asshole who wrote the bad review of presence, was asked about this list, and immediately went on a rant on how bad the war is and other stuff in a liberal kinda of a way.

If you read some of it, it is right on in some cases

I guess the Eagles could be... but Mellencamp is a bit of a suprise

for some reason, I remember him being a GBW guy back in 2004... I'll look into it

It's not a guess, the Eagles are most definitely vehement supporters of many liberal causes. Don't let their association with Wal-Mart fool you, that's just another example of Henley's hypocrisy.

Same for Mellencamp. A few years back he scrawled "this machine kills fascists" on his guitar in honor of Woody Guthrie; thing is, he misspelled "fascists". The least he could have done was get that part right. Earlier this year when Mellencamp (an Edwards supporter) learned John McCain was using his songs Our Country and Pink Houses as part of his campaign, he asked him to stop:

Mellencamp Asks McCain to Stop Using Tunes

Neil Young was a supporter of Ronald Reagan but he otherwise is left-leaning as well.

Back in the 70s several Southern Rock artists such as the Charlie Daniels Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band and the Allman Brothers Band all played some shows in support of Jimmy Carter for President. These days Charlie Daniels and most of the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd are stringent Republican supporters (makes you wonder if Ronnie Van Zant would have also changed his ways). A couple of years ago a book came out about the subject called Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music that gets more in depth. Though not completely politically oriented, I also highly recommend the book Dixie Lullaby: A Story of Music, Race, And New Beginnings in a New South that features a very revealing interview with Charlie Daniels regarding his stance on race relations (as well as a few other things).

51147P65PSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51G0038NGVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's not a guess, the Eagles are most definitely vehement supporters of many liberal causes. Don't let their association with Wal-Mart fool you, that's just another example of Henley's hypocrisy.

Same for Mellencamp. A few years back he scrawled "this machine kills fascists" on his guitar in honor of Woody Guthrie; thing is, he misspelled "fascists". The least he could have done was get that part right. Earlier this year when Mellencamp (an Edwards supporter) learned John McCain was using his songs Our Country and Pink Houses as part of his campaign, he asked him to stop:

Mellencamp Asks McCain to Stop Using Tunes

Neil Young was a supporter of Ronald Reagan but he otherwise is left-leaning as well.

thanks for clearing all that up

Archived