JEFF HEALEY Tribute Concert

Randy Bachman, Colin James join tribute to Jeff Healey

healey-obit-cp-4450265.jpg

Details have been released about a pair of Toronto tribute concerts to honour Canadian guitar great Jeff Healey, who died March 2 of cancer.

Guitarists Randy Bachman and Colin James and singers David Wilcox and Alannah Myles are among the artists who will participate, Healey's wife, Cristie, announced Wednesday.

Jeff Healey's backup band Jazz Wizards will open the first tribute concert May 3.

Cream vocalist and bass player Jack Bruce and Deep Purple's Ian Gillan also will appear during an evening that will focus on Healey's contribution to rock.

The second event, to be held May 4, will be for lovers of Healey's jazz career and include artists such as Marty Grosz, Brad Kay and Vince Giordano.

Proceeds from the shows will go to the Healey Family Trust and to Daisy's Eye Cancer Fund, a charity that assists the families of children with retinoblastoma, the rare cancer that claimed Healey's sight when he was one year old.

"The shows will provide a great way for his friends and fans to pay tribute to his memory, and support a cause that was so very important to Jeff," Cristie Healey said in a statement.

"This has been a great reminder for Jeff's family and close circle of friends of how many people were touched by Jeff and his music," she added. "I think we have assembled an incredible collection of talent, and created two shows that Jeff would love."

Healey played guitar, trombone, trumpet and keyboard. He began his career as a blues-rock artist and later returned to his early love, jazz. He was 41 when he died.

Tickets for both events go on sale Friday in Toronto.

Hi Pagemeister:

I wanted to let you know there was a feature on this two day event in The London Free Press today..

http://www.lfpress.com/ CLICK ON TODAY Scroll down to feature on Healey..

Hopefully you will see this post tonight so you can check out the feature in the paper...

Juliet

Thanks Juliet,

The fact that Gillan and Jack Bruce will be at the tribute says a lot.

Jeff Healey was a huge talent.

Take a look at this Jeff Healey with Stevie Ray Vaughan clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY

Or this recent Clip:

That is neat... sounds like its going to be good. I wish I could go, but I won't be able to. :( Too bad cause I LOVE Colin James and would love to see him pay tribute to Jeff.

BTW, they still air his radio programme on Jazz FM and it is so odd to listen to now.

Archived