Who do they think they are?

sailor86

I immediately felt at home when I came upon this website. I felt relieved that I could share opinions and miscellaneous thoughts with others of at least somewhat like-mind. But I go to others' fansites, and it's straight to the check book. They all want money. What's up with charging people to enter a forum or other little features? The greatest rock band of all time doesn't charge, why do the rest? Do they need the money that bad?! I'm sorry. I thought rock 'n' roll was everybody's music. Not just for the rich. Corporate opportunism is what it seems like to me. Charge for this. Pay for that. It ain't worth it to me. It's tragic. I would like to be in on their forums and what not but the same goes for a dozen other bands. So I would have to pick and choose from my plurality of favorite artists and hope my bank account doesn't bleed dry. :angry:

I don't know if it's the same across the board but I know Skynyrd didn't use to charge for use of their message board at their official website but now it comes along with being a member of their fanclub and I understand why. Before, when it was free there was lots of infighting amongst the members. Now, if you want in you have to pay. I imagine that goes a long way towards keeping the riff raff out that only want to show up just to start trouble. I'm not saying it rules out fighting on the board altogether but I imagine it cuts down on it a great deal.

Certainly if you want to discuss the Who or any of your other favorite bands there's other alternatives than the boards on their official websites.

R.E.M.'s fanclub fee is $10 a year and that hasn't changed since they started it up in the early 80s. They don't have an official messageboard but the membership entitles you to fanclub discounts on merch, several mailouts per year, a holiday package that includes usually includes a single feature previously unreleased material but most of all it gives members dibs on concert tickets for the first 4-6 rows. For the past few tours I've had no problem scoring front row seats. I'm not sure if there's another artist out there that offers a better deal.

Archived