Top 10 Alt-Country Guitarists

Jahfin

WE CONTINUE OUR LOOK AT THE SOUNDS AND STYLES OF ALT-COUNTRY WITH A PROFILE OF SOME OF THE GENRE’S BEST GUITARISTS.

Dave Hunter

A long, long drive from the clean, virtuosic twang of Nashville, alt-country guitar heroes are more noteworthy for digging into the grit and gristle of electric guitar tone than for trying to display how fast human fingers can move across a fretboard. There are some serious players working in this genre, make no mistake, but the players listed below are notable for their contributions to the songs, rather than for how they can rip when their solo rolls around. This Top 10 takes in many of the artists at the center of the movement, but also acknowledges some seminal players at the fringes, without whom the younger generation’s interest in twang might not even have survived. Note: These are listed in no order of honor, but simply as they come to me; these guitarists are all worth hearing, and this isn’t the kind of music that inspires cutting-contest type competition.

Click here to read the list.

I keep reading your posts on this subject, Jahfin, but really have never had any exposure to any of these groups - other than Johnny Cash. Recent "Country" music to me is alot of people on stage doing very little, instrumentally - very subdued and mushy lyrics. I'd still like to give unknown groups a try, though - I'm sure I'd eventually find some that have appeal to me. It's funny that I keep seeing kids in cartoons with "Wilco" on their shirts, like they're Hannah Montana or something...

Can't say that I've seen any of those cartoons but Wilco are definitely not Hannah Montana. I also wouldn't necessarily consider Wilco "alt.country" these days but they certainly have roots in that type of music.

Even though Cash is considered "alt.country" he's sort of an anomaly on that list as he's the only traditional type country music artist listed. Hank Williams, Sr., Waylon, Willie and many more much more well known names would also qualify.

As for today's country music, none of it at all should ever be confused with alt.country. As with all labels when it comes to music, no one term ever seems adequate enough but don't be fooled by the "country" part. Some of it is very traditional sounding while some has it's roots in punk, folk, rock n' roll and bluegrass. Others really don't sound that "country" at all but sound more like "roots" oriented rock n' roll. In any event, one doesn't necessarily have to be a fan of country music to like alt.country.

WE CONTINUE OUR LOOK AT THE SOUNDS AND STYLES OF ALT-COUNTRY WITH A PROFILE OF SOME OF THE GENRE’S BEST GUITARISTS.

Dave Hunter

A long, long drive from the clean, virtuosic twang of Nashville, alt-country guitar heroes are more noteworthy for digging into the grit and gristle of electric guitar tone than for trying to display how fast human fingers can move across a fretboard. There are some serious players working in this genre, make no mistake, but the players listed below are notable for their contributions to the songs, rather than for how they can rip when their solo rolls around. This Top 10 takes in many of the artists at the center of the movement, but also acknowledges some seminal players at the fringes, without whom the younger generation’s interest in twang might not even have survived. Note: These are listed in no order of honor, but simply as they come to me; these guitarists are all worth hearing, and this isn’t the kind of music that inspires cutting-contest type competition.

Click here to read the list.

That is the second song I have heard by the drive by Truckers and I like them both You are costing Me money now I have to buy some Trucker cds which do you recomend?

That is the second song I have heard by the drive by Truckers and I like them both You are costing Me money now I have to buy some Trucker cds which do you recomend?

Decoration Day is a good place to start but be forewarned they have been through numerous personnel changes over the years and the lineup present on this album was good through A Blessing And A Curse (except for the departure of Earl Hicks, who was replaced by guitarist Jason Isbell's wife, Shonna Tucker). The early records (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance are much more country but they are also very raw production-wise. These days (sans Jason Isbell) they are back to that more country sound but the production is much more polished. I love all of their records but live is the best way to see 'em.

Decoration Day is a good place to start but be forewarned they have been through numerous personnel changes over the years and the lineup present on this album was good through A Blessing And A Curse (except for the departure of Earl Hicks, who was replaced by guitarist Jason Isbell's wife, Shonna Tucker). The early records (Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance are much more country but they are also very raw production-wise. These days (sans Jason Isbell) they are back to that more country sound but the production is much more polished. I love all of their records but live is the best way to see 'em.

Well if they get this way I will check them out in the meantime its off to the record store.That place were everyone knows My name,and My credit card numbers.

I'm not bitching but if they are willing to include dead people (Cash and Perkins) they should have named Jay Bennett along with Wilco and not Nels. Funny how people have forgotten him, he was a pretty big deal back in the day. Still is for me, among my fave axemen of all time. His mix of twang and all things rock while in Wilco was sublime.

I'm not bitching but if they are willing to include dead people (Cash and Perkins) they should have named Jay Bennett along with Wilco and not Nels.

Or Bennett and Nels, no reason to discount one over the other. Not to mention this is just one person's opinion so it's not really worth getting worked up over.

Luther Perkins was great. David Rawlings and Hood, Cooley and the guys in Drive-By Truckers are great too.. The Jayhawks guys are great as well.

James Burton may not count as alt-country, but he performed on Gram Parsons solo records which more or less is the no.1 artist that influenced the alt-country movement, so I'd throw him into that list too. :D