Member Reviews of P-K Gigs Attended

Another forum member astutely observed some media reviews have appeared similar in tone, offering less detail to the well-informed fan. Thought it might be interesting if forum members shared their thoughts after attending a gig. As Zep/Plant fans, they are likely to have additional insights that may be missed by others. hippy2.gif

Here's my start:

2008. 13 June, Columbia, MD- Merriweather Post Pavilion

Oh, friends... you really should have heard the gig tonight in Columbia, MD. For those who may not like bluegrass, I say, 'Wait, there's more!' This was no sleep-inducing, boredom-creating event. Didn't even perceive it a Bluegrass gig, rather a roots music gig: primary source Celtic and Blues with tones evolved from the former to Bluegrass, Country, Rockabilly...you name it.

To this listener, Krauss, the Madonna of Bluegrass, has become nastier [in a marvelously earthy, 'Oh, yeah, Momma, love it nasty' sort of way] throughout the tour, no doubt due to Plant's 'bad influences' [heavy sarcasm intended]

Plant-Krauss fence-sitters might be pleasantly surprised. biggrin.gifBlack Country Woman, Black Dog, and Battle of Evermore were all spectacular, rivaling original versions and perfect in their own way. Other songs were stunning as well, many not on the Raising Sand album. Sensitivity to recent flooding made 'Levee' a thoughtful omission from the set list.

It appears Plant is loosening up and sounding more 'Zeppelinesque' whilst Krauss is increasingly more comfortable with a looser, rawer, emotive sound. When you put them together it's a mind-blowing experience which could become extremely addictive.

At the risk of offending many, I may have liked tonights performance better than the O2 gig which I had the good fortune to attend. *Gasp* Before anyone starts chucking rotting veg, please note this was a very difficult thing to post. It's like stating you love one child more than the other.

The O2 gig was brilliant: superbly performed by an amazing group of talent resulting in a momentous historical event which is an unmeasurable treasure I will always cherish. However, I knew the music. Tonight's gig offered new twists and turns in musical territory both familiar and new, coupled with an unknown set list. A thrilling adventure which increased my understanding and appreciation of roots music, presented in a fresh way, often offered with 'Light and Shade' so beloved of Zep fans.

'Plantations' abounded including an amusing reference to a call received from Richard Cole reminding him [Plant] that 40 years ago he played Merriweather with Zep. I laughed out loud at the mention of Cole's name - It appeared Plant heard me as he peered in my direction with a wry look. Guess I was one of the few who knew of whom Plant was speaking - or the only one who burst out laughing tongue.gif Plant stated they had to turn in their earnings from the first Merriweather gig to pay for damages. wink.gif

Three encores to a wildly appreciative audience, well-balanced between Krauss and Plant devotees. The final encore a tribute to media personality Tim Russert, who passed away just prior to the gig. Russert was highly regarded by most: a rarity in a rather fractious industry. The song? Down to the River to Pray, as an extremely moving and beautiful Plant-Krauss duet. A thoughtful and decent act serving as a delicate, final curtain for Mr. Russert and the evening's performance.

I'll try to post more when I've come off my little cloud of euphoria hippy2.gif

...after determining if I've enough credit card points available for some road trips. Can't get enough of P-K-TBone, et al.

I had such a great time last night. The show was fun, they all sounded wonderful. The crowd was totally into it the whole night. I enjoyed Sharon Little who opened the show a lot. I don't write as well as PotBound, so all I can say is..."what she said." The only thing I will say is that they ended the show with Your Long Journey dedicated to Tim Russert. Alison sang Down to the River to Pray earlier during her segment. An altogether spectacular evening!!

Here are a couple of pictures. You may check out the rest of them here: http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/e...auss/?start=all

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

Edited by ebk

Edited for accuracy [thanks ebk]. Shouldn't write posts in the middle of the night! Added a tidbit, too.

Another forum member astutely observed some media reviews have appeared similar in tone, offering less detail to the well-informed fan. Thought it might be interesting if forum members shared their thoughts after attending a gig. As Zep/Plant fans, they are likely to have additional insights that may be missed by others. :hippy:

Here's my start:

2008. 13 June, Columbia, MD- Merriweather Post Pavilion

Oh, friends... you really should have heard the gig tonight in Columbia, MD. For those who may not like bluegrass, I say, 'Wait, there's more!' This was no sleep-inducing, boredom-creating event. Didn't even perceive it a Bluegrass gig, rather a roots music gig: primary source Celtic and Blues with tones evolved from the former to Bluegrass, Country, Rockabilly...you name it.

To this listener, Krauss, the Madonna of Bluegrass, has become nastier [in a marvelously earthy, 'Oh, yeah, Momma, love it nasty' sort of way] throughout the tour, no doubt due to Plant's 'bad influences' [heavy sarcasm intended]

Plant-Krauss fence-sitters might be pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup:Black Country Woman, Black Dog, and Battle of Evermore were all spectacular, rivaling original versions and perfect in their own way. Other songs were stunning as well, many not on the Raising Sand album. Sensitivity to recent flooding made 'Levee' a thoughtful omission from the set list.

Solo Plant work was represented in a magical In the Mood [for a Melody] with a brilliant, reeling inset of Fairport Convention's Matty Groves, featuring Krausse's haunting voice and simply wicked fiddle playing!

Plant was in roaring top form in Townes Van Zandt's Nothin. Frankly, it's tough to find words to adequately describe the performance. You just have to see it. Zep die-hards won't be disappointed.

It appears Plant is loosening up and sounding more 'Zeppelinesque' whilst Krauss is increasingly more comfortable with a looser, rawer, emotive sound. When you put them together it's a mind-blowing experience which could become extremely addictive.

Also of note to Zep fans, both Stuart Duncan [Krausses 'Most favorite musician in the world'] and Krauss offered fiddle playing that oft sounded...psychedelic. At one point there was a segment with Plant vocals that made me Dazed and Confused.

At the risk of offending many, I may have liked tonights performance better than the O2 gig which I had the good fortune to attend. *Gasp* Before anyone starts chucking rotting veg, please note this was a very difficult thing to post. It's like stating you love one child more than the other.

The O2 gig was brilliant: superbly performed by an amazing group of talent resulting in a momentous historical event which is an unmeasurable treasure I will always cherish. However, I knew the music. Tonight's gig offered new twists and turns in musical territory both familiar and new, coupled with an unknown set list. A thrilling adventure which increased my understanding and appreciation of roots music, presented in a fresh way, often offered with 'Light and Shade' so beloved of Zep fans.

'Plantations' abounded including an amusing reference to a call received from Richard Cole reminding him [Plant] that 40 years ago he played Merriweather with Zep. I laughed out loud at the mention of Cole's name - It appeared Plant heard me as he peered in my direction with a wry look. Guess I was one of the few who knew of whom Plant was speaking - or the only one who burst out laughing :P Plant stated they had to turn in their earnings from the first Merriweather gig to pay for damages. ;)

Three encores to a wildly appreciative audience, well-balanced between Krauss and Plant devotees. The final encore a tribute to media personality Tim Russert, who passed away just prior to the gig. Russert was highly regarded by most: a rarity in a rather fractious industry. The song? Your Long Journey, an extremely moving and beautiful Plant-Krauss duet. A thoughtful and decent act serving as a delicate, final curtain for Mr. Russert and the evening's performance.

I'll try to post more when I've come off my little cloud of euphoria :hippy:

...after determining if I've enough credit card points available for some road trips. Can't get enough of P-K-TBone, et al.

Edited by PotBound