Did anyone catch the Plant/Krauss show at Red Rocks?

Did anyone catch the Plant/Krauss show at Red Rocks? I couldn't go (I was away at the beach B)) and I'm curious about how it was.

I love the venue but I was wondering how well it worked with that style of music.

They performed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcpzwcOlXE, and the guitarist, Scott, for the opening band, Sharon Little's band, said that performing in Red Rocks was like being in the house band for the Ten Commandments when he was interviewed. You can see him talking near 5:00

on youtube.

Concert review: Robert Plant/Alison Krauss at Red Rocks

June 22, 3:11 PM

On their unusual and surprisingly touching Raising Sand record, the unlikely pairing of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss – the Led Zeppelin wailer and the classy bluegrass sweetheart – turned out to be magical. The collaboration was actually effortless in concert at Red Rocks Amphtitheater on Saturday night, in a set that represented what Plant described as “the America I have always loved musically” – deep, dark blues, rockabily, country and Celtic-by-way-of-Appalachian songs.

Much credit to producer T-Bone Burnett and the crack touring band he assembled. There was no uneasy push or pull – just Plant and Krauss duetting and whispering backings for each other in the slow-burning sonic landscapes expertly tailored by drummer “Mighty” Jay Bellerose, guitarist Buddy Miller, upright bassist Dennis Crouch and multi-instrumentalist Stuart Duncan.

Fans didn't know what would follow next as the two iconic figures shared their maverick spirit. Highlights included the opening “Rich Woman,” which struck an optimistic mood with the sold-out crowd . . . plaintive readings of Doc Watson’s “Your Long Journey” and the Plant/Jimmy Page beauty “Please Read The Letter” . . . Plant, Duncan and Miller forming a gospel quartet with Krauss on “Down To The River To Pray” from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack (which Burnett produced) . . . the Zeppelin gems “The Battle of Evermore,” fitting Plant’s emotive voice with Krauss’s mighty harmony, and “Black Dog,” turned into a swampy march with Duncan’s ghostly banjo . . . the “rocker” of the evening, “Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On),” a minor mid-Sixties hit for the Everly Brothers . . . Plant’s “In The Mood,” which segued into the English folk ballad “Matty Groves” . . . Allen Toussaint’s “Fortune Teller,” playing to Krauss’ wordless vocal in the background . . . Duncan’s elegaic performance of “Green Pastures” with Krauss . . . and Burnett’s two fine numbers, including “Bon Temps Rouler,” offered with the wish that there could be a WPA (Works Progress Administration) for New Orleans like there had been for Red Rocks.

Plant was particularly engaged, celebrating the summer solstice (“...the night of the longest day!”) and substituting Red Rocks for Stonehenge as his party pad. His stomping take on Townes Van Zandt’s “Nothin’” sounded harrowing, and he introduced an encore of “One Woman Man,” a song first popularized by old-school country star Johnny Horton, with a pop quiz: “Who knows about the Singing Fisherman?,” he asked with a laugh.

You have to hand it to Plant, who is still resisting the temptation to recreate the Zeppelin halcyon days (for now). There’s no way his aging voice can strain for the old hard-hollering glory. Instead, he’s stepping out of his comfort zone and indulging his passions, a reminder that grizzled rock gods can grow old with verve and grace.

www.examiner.com

I just got back from colorado on a trip specifically for the concert! It was great, but i don't agree with the last part of that review, I was happily surprized that Robert's voice was so strong, in fact it seemed like he was holding back a little. I kept waiting on Battle of Evermore for that yell but it never happened, instead they harmonized very well. I also waited for Levee and the one disappointment from that night was that it was never played. I guess black country woman made up for that, it's one of my favorites. The last few songs from the encore weren't familiar to me but i was just happy they were back on stage. It was a great night and perfect weather, being out in the rocks really enhances the experience, the wind picked up towards the end during battle and I think everyone there felt wrapped up in the song! I still can't believe I saw Robert live, it really makes me wish Jimmy was out there doing something so I could at least have the chance of seeing him play! Anyway, I completely recommend everyone go who has the chance to see a Plant/Krauss concert!

Archived