No pigeon hole?

moose351

I have been wondering about the mystery of Zeppelin for years now. The mystery that, out of all the bands of the era (influential ones), that Zeppelin always seems to be forgotten. This only seems to be the case with the media. Musicians are constantly quoting Zep as a major influence. Is the fact that Stairway is their only song going in for bat for them, stem form them never really releasing singles for the charts? Or is it that you can't pigeon hole them. Stones played blues rock, Eagles - West coast rock (easy feeling), Purple - Blues rock, ect. I suppose it's the same reason why Zappa is never mentioned. Yet the Beatles deservingly make the top of list. I just wonder whether these lists of greatest bands - albums - songs etc, are drawn up by pencil pushers using public polls, for whom I don't agree with. Does it all come down to sales. From a musicians point of view, it shouldn't.

Nah, certainly not sales! Zeppelin had more albums in the Billboard chart at one time than virtually anyone ever has. The critics slagged them off for years. By the fourth album they'd had enough. Hence, an album with no reference to Zeppelin on its cover whatsoever other than "Produced by Jimmy Page" on the inner sleeve. "Let the music speak for itself" indeed! Of course, now that the post Beatles/mop top generation (the ones who actually drove your daughters around in a Pontiac Firebird) are actually running the media, Zeppelin are the gods we in the High School parking lot always knew they were. The biggest kept secret of a generation is out. But we always knew. You, me, and Cameron Crowe. ;)

Archived