2008 Ultimate Top 10

The Pagemeister

L.A. Times' annual survey combining sales of concert tickets, albums and digital downloads to measure which acts were most popular with the broadest swath of music lovers.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et...0,7499971.story

Presenting the 2008 Ultimate Top 10

1. Madonna ($120.1 million). The Material Girl took in $105.3 million from touring, in addition to $14.8 million from music sales. It's hard to decide what's more impressive. The average gross at her shows, mostly in stadiums, was an eye-popping $5.5 million, and she drew about 36,000 people per show. Additionally, the average ticket price was $153.88, easily the highest among Pollstar's Top 50 grossing tours. Worldwide, according to Pollstar, she amassed $281.6 million.

2. Celine Dion ($106.8 million). Dion has been a regular in the Ultimate Top 10, and she posted her highest finish in a decade after ditching her residency at the Colosseum in Las Vegas for an old-fashioned, if high-tech, tour. She grossed $94 million, added $11.4 million in album sales and $1.3 million in digital tracks. Average ticket price: $119. Dion finished at No. 8 last year.

3. Kenny Chesney ($95.7 million). This favorite son of Luttrell, Tenn., again proved the most popular country music act on the road last year, pulling in $72.2 million, and was the only artist to sell more than 1 million tickets in North America. Chesney sold $20.8 million worth of albums and $2.7 million in digital tracks. Average ticket price: $71.24. He's up from No. 4 on last year's list.

4. Eagles ($90.7 million). The group might have taken the long road out of Eden, but it was pretty near paradise on the concert trail with the band's take of $73.4 million. CD sales added $15.6 million and the veteran act notched $1.7 million worth of downloads. Average ticket price: $128.82.

5. AC/DC ($82 million). The new "Black Ice" album took the veteran Australian hard rock band back to the top of the charts and also made its concert tour one of the year's hot tickets. The band's Ultimate Top 10 tally was almost evenly divided, with $37.5 million coming at the concert box office and $44.5 million from album sales. Like Kid Rock, AC/DC doesn't do digital tracks. Average ticket price: $99.73.

6. Coldplay ($81.6 million). Although finishing sixth, Coldplay is in the enviable position of balancing its power in concert and at retail. About $40.8 million worth of concert tickets were bolstered with $35 million in CD sales and a solid $5.8 million worth of 99-cent track downloads. Average ticket price: $79.87.

7. Bon Jovi ($81.4 million). The New Jersey band posted another good year, with $70.4 million from 45 shows in 31 cities, plus $8.6 million in CD sales and $2.4 million in digital tracks. Average ticket price: $95.39.

8. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band ($79 million). It's been five years since the Boss topped the Ultimate Top 10 with a take of $132.8 million. Last year, he and the E Streeters pulled in $69.3 million on the road and, without a new album, added $7.9 million in catalog sales and $1.8 million in digital tracks. Average ticket price: $94.17.

9. Jonas Brothers ($77.9 million). The newest act to join the Ultimate Top 10 did almost equally well at the box office as at retail: $41.5 million worth of tickets, $30.4 million in albums and $6 million digitally. An average ticket price of $43.69 made theirs the least expensive ticket among Top 10 finishers.

10. Rascal Flatts ($77.1 million). It might be down three slots from its No. 7 finish in 2007, but this good-time country trio is becoming a concert juggernaut. This is the group's third consecutive year in the Ultimate Top 10, thanks to $55.8 million on the road, $18.2 million in album sales and $3.1 million digitally in 2008. Average ticket price: $59.47.

Filling out the Top 20: Neil Diamond ($70.5 million), Taylor Swift ($62.2 million), Michael Bublé ($59.5 million), Metallica ($56.4 million), Carrie Underwood ($54.9 million), Dave Matthews Band ($51.6 million), the Police ($51 million), Lil Wayne ($50.8 million), Tom Petty ($50.5 million) and Kid Rock ($50. 2 million).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et...0,7499971.story

I refuse to pay more than 30 dollars to see a band now. You can get more value for your money if you go see a less popular band in a small venue and you get twice the playing time and ten times the enjoyment.

Depends on the show. True you can see some great music for that price or less but sometimes when an artist tours a medium to full sized concert hall, it's unlikely. But I won't pay some ridiculous price either.

I refuse to pay more than 30 dollars to see a band now. You can get more value for your money if you go see a less popular band in a small venue and you get twice the playing time and ten times the enjoyment.

:huh: $30 :lol: cost you $25 just to park your car in town LOL.

For $30 you might get to see a band who's lead guitar player is serving you an

Egg Mcmuffin in the morning! :hysterical:

Because of the hearing loss you suffer in a small venue, in the long run you will lose money with all the medical expenses. Seriously, I hear you. I've been averaging one (1) concert per year for about three years. So my concert budget has been greatly reduced. 2009 I expect to see nobody.

Archived