Folk and Folk-Rock Music

• 5 months later...

New book Seasons They Change The Story of Acid and Psychedelic Folk was released this month.

51BW1GGzZlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, the inherent weirdness of folk met switched-on psychedelic rock and gave birth to new, strange forms of acoustic-based avant-garde music. Artists on both sides of the Atlantic, including The Incredible String Band, Vashti Bunyan, Pearls Before Swine and Comus, combined sweet melancholy and modal melody with shape-shifting experimentation to create sounds of unsettling oddness categorized as acid or psych folk. In the mid-2000s, a new generation of artists collectively tagged New Weird America and spearheaded by Devendra Banhart, Espers, and Joanna Newsom rediscovered and renewed acid and psych folk Seasons They Change tells the story of the birth, death, and resurrection of this genre. It explores the careers of the original wave of artists and their contemporary equivalents, finding connections between the generations and uncovering a previously hidden narrative of musical adventure.

Hi,

I was curious if this song Joni Anderson (later Joni Mitchell) wrote and sang would be considered "pure folk" music, or more MOR, or even country

tinged? I have heard very little pure folk in my life, so I'm not the best judge. Here is the song. It's an oldie and her part doesn't start until 1:20, so fast forward

to save some time. :) Thanks.........................missy

Folk, Folk-Rock and acoustic music in general are some of my favourite kinds of music. I've mostly listened to newer stuff and I seem to find worthwhile music of this kind quite often.

Some older stuff:

There's Bob Dylan of course. I only got a compilation album so far. Might get into his music a bit more sometime.

I really like Pink Moon by Nick Drake. Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter have yet to impress me as much.

Newer stuff:

Bon Iver has a few good songs and For Emma, Forever Ago is overall a pretty good album which sets a pretty strong atmosphere.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy's (aka Will Oldham) music leans more on Americana and I absolutely love his album I See a Darkness. One of my all time favourites. I have yet to check out his other works.

Erland & The Carnival is a very recent find for me. Their self-titled album sounds quite a lot like 60's folk music I think. There's even a few cover versions of old folk songs.

Fleet Foxes was mentioned above Rock N' Rollin' Man. Their s/t debut is a great album. Sun Giant ep also contains some very good songs. They got a new album coming this year.

Iron & Wine (aka Sam Beam) is one of my favourite artist in this genre. The earlier stuff is more acoustic (Our Endless Numbered Days for an example) but he has started to include more and more elements into his music with the two following releases The Shepherd's Dog and Kiss Each Other Clean which was released earlier this month. I actually prefer his later material because it seems to offer more things to find.

Junip was another new artist I found out about last year. Their music is a mix of acoustic guitars, interesting rhythms and 70's kind of synths. Fields is a good album even if it's a tad bit too samey.

Junip brings me to Jose Gonzalez who is the frontman of the band. He's been pursuing a solo career too. I've only listened to his first album Veneer once but it seemed like a quality, barebones folk album.

And then there's of course one of my favourite bands Midlake. Their second album The Trials of Van Occupanther is a soft-rock / folk-rock type of thing which I love. Their third album The Courage of Others is heavier and darker. I've read comparisons to Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.

The Tallest Man On Earth was also mentioned above by Rock N' Rollin' Man. He sounds a bit like Dylan but after some listening you notice that he's certainly not some cheap rip-off or anything. I've only listened to Shallow Grave so far and the melodies are so catchy that I wonder why he has yet to gain bigger success. His second album The Wild Hunt was released last year.

I'm interested in seeing what this genre offers in the future and to explore some of the old classics.

Folk, Folk-Rock and acoustic music in general are some of my favourite kinds of music. I've mostly listened to newer stuff and I seem to find worthwhile music of this kind quite often.

Some older stuff:

There's Bob Dylan of course. I only got a compilation album so far. Might get into his music a bit more sometime.

I really like Pink Moon by Nick Drake. Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter have yet to impress me as much.

Newer stuff:

Bon Iver has a few good songs and For Emma, Forever Ago is overall a pretty good album which sets a pretty strong atmosphere.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy's (aka Will Oldham) music leans more on Americana and I absolutely love his album I See a Darkness. One of my all time favourites. I have yet to check out his other works.

Erland & The Carnival is a very recent find for me. Their self-titled album sounds quite a lot like 60's folk music I think. There's even a few cover versions of old folk songs.

Fleet Foxes was mentioned above Rock N' Rollin' Man. Their s/t debut is a great album. Sun Giant ep also contains some very good songs. They got a new album coming this year.

Iron & Wine (aka Sam Beam) is one of my favourite artist in this genre. The earlier stuff is more acoustic (Our Endless Numbered Days for an example) but he has started to include more and more elements into his music with the two following releases The Shepherd's Dog and Kiss Each Other Clean which was released earlier this month. I actually prefer his later material because it seems to offer more things to find.

Junip was another new artist I found out about last year. Their music is a mix of acoustic guitars, interesting rhythms and 70's kind of synths. Fields is a good album even if it's a tad bit too samey.

Junip brings me to Jose Gonzalez who is the frontman of the band. He's been pursuing a solo career too. I've only listened to his first album Veneer once but it seemed like a quality, barebones folk album.

And then there's of course one of my favourite bands Midlake. Their second album The Trials of Van Occupanther is a soft-rock / folk-rock type of thing which I love. Their third album The Courage of Others is heavier and darker. I've read comparisons to Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.

The Tallest Man On Earth was also mentioned above by Rock N' Rollin' Man. He sounds a bit like Dylan but after some listening you notice that he's certainly not some cheap rip-off or anything. I've only listened to Shallow Grave so far and the melodies are so catchy that I wonder why he has yet to gain bigger success. His second album The Wild Hunt was released last year.

I'm interested in seeing what this genre offers in the future and to explore some of the old classics.

It's probable that if you like Nick Drake's Pink Moon you'll like Jens Carelius' first album The First Songs. Second album he went in a different direction that I don't quite like as much he is working on a new album right now. Different from The Tallest Man on Earth where TMOE at first you think it might be too Dylanish after a song you see he has his own sound. I don't mind though it's different enough. Some of your newer finds I have heard of by name and others I haven't at all so I need to give them listens.

BTW Here's "Summer Skin" by Jens embedded for convenience.

Soundtrack to Into The Wild by Eddie Vedder was great folk rock. Wish he would make more music like this.

Magnus Pelander

His ep is psych folk but also adds some heavy rock. At another music forum he listed ISB as a favorite band and you can hear that influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6w_CgjTvSg

I still need to snatch that up. The last time I saw it, it had been marked down to $9.99.

Hi Jahfin,

That Eddie Vedder music sounds a little like Greg Allman. Do you think so? It's pretty good and I've never listened to any pure folk before, except very early Joni Mitchell.

I was checking You/tube for clips on Bert Jansch since Jimmy Page says he was such an influence. I found this song (pretty sure it qualifies as folk).

Anyway, it's nice (very pretty) and look at the date. This guy is still going strong in 2008! .............:) missy

It's probable that if you like Nick Drake's Pink Moon you'll like Jens Carelius' first album The First Songs. Second album he went in a different direction that I don't quite like as much he is working on a new album right now. Different from The Tallest Man on Earth where TMOE at first you think it might be too Dylanish after a song you see he has his own sound. I don't mind though it's different enough. Some of your newer finds I have heard of by name and others I haven't at all so I need to give them listens.

BTW Here's "Summer Skin" by Jens embedded for convenience.

Just put Jens Carelius' both albums on my spotify starred playlist. Will make sure to listen to them soon :)

Just listened to that song too. Sounds good !

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I like Fairport Convention (Liege and Lief is good but perhaps even better to me is What We Did On Our Holidays), Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Silly Wizard, and a bunch of Celtic groups like Clannad, Capercaillie, Altan, Solas and such.

And I like a lot of American folk and singer songwriter folk.

• 2 years later...
On 1.8.2010 at 6:08 PM, Rock N' Rollin' Man said:

I like the Incredible String Band  and I love Forest's  album  Full Circle.

Then you need the original  UK Vinyl Pressing on the Harvest Label  from 1970....  harp.gif

Forest - Full Circle.jpg

Forest - Full Circle  II.jpg

Forest - Full Circle  III.jpg

Archived