Jimmy Page Amp Settings

I generally try to avoid sounding like my influences, but I had to crack a smile when I accidently stumbled upon a Page tone a few months back. At the time I had a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge of my trusty Ibanez RG440 running into the high treble channel of my Plexi. The amp really blooms with the volume around 7, but on this occasion I had the volume around 4, which yielded the more brittle, less robust tone I associate with Page. The EQ on that amp is very subtle and wouldn't have much bearing on the overall tone, but knowing me I probably had the controls at 12 o'clock. I run the amp through a THD Hot Plate for the sake of my hearing, which undoubtedly colors the tone, as well.

In my opinion, there's no substitute for a good non-master volume tube amp, especially when you're after sounds of the British invasion. The guitar was the real surprise -- I never would have imagined a basswood body from the mid-eighties could have pulled off such a great vintage tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

On my Orange AD30 Twin Channel, I keep my Volume around 10 o'clock, Treble around 4 o'clock, Mids a little past 9 o'clock, Bass at 9 o'clock and Gain at 4 o'clock, My friends and I all agree this is a pretty spot on Page tone. The trick honestly is knowing how to use your volume in accordance with your tone knob. Im using a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro 1 that's been modded with all for push/pulls for coil split, in/out of phase and series/parallel. This set up is great for all sorts of Page tones my favorite being Hots On For Nowhere & Achilles Last Stand, add a little phase 90 to the intro and a digitech whammy harmony setting for the ascending piece and you've got Achilles all the way!

Archived