Gus Van Sant To Bring Tom Wolf's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test To the Big Screen

Jahfin

The Ultimate Trip: "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" Heads to the Big Screen

Film version of Tom Wolfe's book on Ken Kesey's Merry Pranksters comes closer to reality

27435707-27435711-slarge.jpg

JOHN CLARKE JR.

The onscreen version of Tom Wolfe's literary cult hit The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is primed to hit theaters by 2010. When published in 1968, the book shattered cultural perceptions of the peaceful, passive hippie zeitgeist by introducing the Merry Pranksters, author Ken Kesey's roving gonzo army of LSD-fueled pioneers who tripped about the country, mixing it up with rowdy Oregonians, Bay Area hippies, Hollywood rockers, Hell's Angels and a flurry of left-handed characters that launched the psychedelic movement into mainstream America and ushered in the Grateful Dead.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Edited by Jahfin

Hmm, I'm expecting this to be somewhat similar to the movie version of Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. They should get Terry Gilliam to direct.

Funny you mention Gilliam as someone suggested him on another board as well. According to the article, Kesey specifically wanted Van Sant to do it so we'll see how it turns out if indeed it does get the big screen treatment.

• 1 month later...

I actually found this book in my junior high school library stacks when I was in 7th grade and read it during study hall-today I suppose it might be banned at that grade level LoL