Black Mountainside live

Dirigible

For decades I've been wanting to see and hear Page play this solo feature on the Felix show of the haunting Irish folk melody. A few minutes ago I found it and invite you to have a look-see.

I found this clip while working my way through videos of Bert Jansch playing Black Waterside. If you've never heard Page's inspiration for Black Mountainside compare Jansch playing and singing. It's damned easy to hear why Page respected Jansch so much and supported his group Pentangle. Black Waterside can make your eyes shine, if you know what I mean. (Lyrics below).

BLACK WATERSIDE

One morning fair I took the air

down by black waterside

T'was a gazing path all around it

And the Irish that I spied

All through the fog, heart of the night

We lay in sport and play

Till this young man arose and gathered his clothes

Singing 'Fair thee well today!'

That's not the promise that you gave to me

When first you lay on my breast

You could make me believe with your lying tongue

That the sun rose in the west

Well then go home to your fathers garden

Go home and await your fill

And think on your own misfortune

That you brought with your wanton will

One morning fair I took the air

down by black waterside

T'was a gazing path all around it

And the Irish that I spied...

Zoso2112, I admit I don't know that much about Led Zeppelin. To add insult to injury I NEVER saw the Julie Felix clip till yesterday.

I got into the band late. When I saw Zeppelin perform for the first time they'd already been together almost a year, several months before the release of LZII. I bought my first bootleg (Blueberry Hill) in 1972 when cassette tapes were cutting edge technology. I joined a band in 1978 and learned to play more than half of Zeppelin's entire catalog (although we hadn't added In The Evening, Hot Dog, All My Love or Darlene to the setlist yet). In 1982 the president of the Led Zeppelin Fan Club (Dallas chapter) offered me a thousand bucks for my LZ scrapbook (which has grown from a scrapbook to a filing cabinet). By 1983 I probably had a mere 20 books about Zeppelin on my shelf, one printed in French and another in Japanese, but I'd say it was about that time I learned Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown were basically the most original tracks on the first album. (I don't give a toss what those lunkheads at Thieving Magpies say to the contrary about the latter.)

Since I've known most of LZ1 was cover material over a quarter of a century that is indeed old news to me. But then again I admit I don't know that much about Zep. For instance I couldn't tell you Page's shoe size or Plant's blood type, but since I'm not a true Zep fan I don't care about ephemera like that.

Did I mention I have a Master's Degree in sarcasm?

Just kidding, my fellow Zepeleptics, good cheer (and vibes) to one and all.

For those of you who haven't seen these or just want to watch them again here's some fun YouTube vids featuring Pagey with the Yardies. They're all Yardbirds' staple material with the exception of the first one, a cover song by Jake Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPfpUv4hUOw...feature=related

And just for grins, does the opening riff of this sound familiar?

You're have no clue man.

"You're have no clue" ???

One word.... Wow.

Zoso2112, I admit I don't know that much about Led Zeppelin. To add insult to injury I NEVER saw the Julie Felix clip till yesterday.

I got into the band late. When I saw Zeppelin perform for the first time they'd already been together almost a year, several months before the release of LZII. I bought my first bootleg (Blueberry Hill) in 1972 when cassette tapes were cutting edge technology. I joined a band in 1978 and learned to play more than half of Zeppelin's entire catalog (although we hadn't added In The Evening, Hot Dog, All My Love or Darlene to the setlist yet). In 1982 the president of the Led Zeppelin Fan Club (Dallas chapter) offered me a thousand bucks for my LZ scrapbook (which has grown from a scrapbook to a filing cabinet). By 1983 I probably had a mere 20 books about Zeppelin on my shelf, one printed in French and another in Japanese, but I'd say it was about that time I learned Good Times Bad Times and Communication Breakdown were basically the most original tracks on the first album. (I don't give a toss what those lunkheads at Thieving Magpies say to the contrary about the latter.)

Since I've known most of LZ1 was cover material over a quarter of a century that is indeed old news to me. But then again I admit I don't know that much about Zep. For instance I couldn't tell you Page's shoe size or Plant's blood type, but since I'm not a true Zep fan I don't care about ephemera like that.

Did I mention I have a Master's Degree in sarcasm?

Just kidding, my fellow Zepeleptics, good cheer (and vibes) to one and all.

For those of you who haven't seen these or just want to watch them again here's some fun YouTube vids featuring Pagey with the Yardies. They're all Yardbirds' staple material with the exception of the first one, a cover song by Jake Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPfpUv4hUOw...feature=related

And just for grins, does the opening riff of this sound familiar?

Yeah, I heard that Bobby Parker riff a long time ago. And calm down, no one was challenging you're knowledge about Zep.

Yeah, I heard that Bobby Parker riff a long time ago. And calm down, no one was challenging you're knowledge about Zep.

Dadgummit, 2112! And after I worked so diligently to make you laugh. :D Now please excuse me, I need to have a word with the chap who writes my jokes.

All you had to do was ask

Thanks for the generous offer, 3. If I have a filing cabinet full of stuff I know you could probably open your own museum. Is there a cleaner copy of the Felix show? All the ones on YouTube have headache-inducing horizontal interference.

I know it's a minor Zeppelinistic holy grail but do you, by chance, have video of the Bath Festival 1970? All I have is about 7 or 8 seconds shot from behind Robert.

Other than that I'm hunting any audio/video of August 4th, 1969 or August 24th, 1971 (the nearest dates I can source are 8-31-69 and 8-23-71). I have recordings of all the shows I attended with those two exceptions; if I can acquire them and I've my doubts they even exist, then my collection will be complete. Somewhat.

"You're have no clue" ???

One word.... Wow.

I was going to say "You're an idiot" which clearly you are. But changed my mind and meant to say you have no clue, and made a typo. I didn't want to be too much of a jerk.

I was going to say "You're an idiot" which clearly you are. But changed my mind and meant to say you have no clue, and made a typo. I didn't want to be too much of a jerk.

You call me an idiot, but then say you don't want to be a jerk? Clearly, your logic is flawed. I did not say anything that was incorrect in my first post.

Archived