Hello from Boston

Bill M.

Hi, my name is Bill and I just joined the forum.

I first got into Zeppelin some time around the late 80s when I was a young teen. I was really into heavy metal (still am, in fact) so it was inevitable that I'd stumble across friends who liked Led Zeppelin. Naturally I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was hard for me to get into them at first, but by the time I was 14 I had become a fanatic. Columbia House supplied me with most of their catalog on cassette until I finally broke down and bought the Complete Studio box set some time in the late 90s.

I've also been playing bass since around the same time, but in more recent years I've been focusing on my singing and playing harmonica. A few weeks ago I answered an ad for a Zep tribute band looking for a front man. Less than 24 hours after responding, I had an auditioned and gotten the job! Needless to say, I've been listening to them in a whole knew way. For example, it's forced me to finally try to figure out what the heck Plant's been singing in some songs.

Looking forward to some good Zep discussion!

Hi, my name is Bill and I just joined the forum.

I first got into Zeppelin some time around the late 80s when I was a young teen. I was really into heavy metal (still am, in fact) so it was inevitable that I'd stumble across friends who liked Led Zeppelin. Naturally I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was hard for me to get into them at first, but by the time I was 14 I had become a fanatic. Columbia House supplied me with most of their catalog on cassette until I finally broke down and bought the Complete Studio box set some time in the late 90s.

I've also been playing bass since around the same time, but in more recent years I've been focusing on my singing and playing harmonica. A few weeks ago I answered an ad for a Zep tribute band looking for a front man. Less than 24 hours after responding, I had an auditioned and gotten the job! Needless to say, I've been listening to them in a whole knew way. For example, it's forced me to finally try to figure out what the heck Plant's been singing in some songs.

Looking forward to some good Zep discussion!

Hi :wave: Way cool you're in a tribute band. :D

As for Plant you can look it up on some sites but for the most prt you just have to play it by ear.

Yeah I know there are plenty of sites out there that claim to have the lyrics, but like most unauthorized lyric sources, a lot of them are obviously wrong. I've been comparing some of the transcriptions on line with the Led Zeppelin Real Book and found the latter to make more sense.

I think a lot of people don't realize that most lyric transcriptions you find are unauthorized, meaning it was just somebody's guess sitting down and listening by ear. Unless the lyrics come with the album itself, that's usually the case.

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

Hey Bill. I was a young teen in the early 80's when I got into zep. I'm also in the Boston area and playing in a zep tribute .. but we only play top secret basement locations occasionally for the time being. Hope to see your band playing out sometime.

Archived