In The Light

BonzoLikeDrumer

So, I'm trying figure out how to play "In the Light" from "Physical Graffiti", all I can find on line is tab's and I'm not big on reading tab's, some time's what I find on these site's (not this one) are incorrect as well. I only play chord's/frag's, being as I'm a solo act and want to work up a rendition of the song as close as I can.

I used to have a Zeppelin complete book but that's been some decades ago and I don't know what happened to it.

I think it's starts with a B5 but I may be wrong.

Any help would be good to have

Thank's in advance

It's in A. What will you be playing it on? Would be really cool if you could loop a droning A to play over.

A? I must have been voicing it out of pitch.

So on the verse it's a walk down run in A on the 2nd and 3rd fret starting on the G string and then a run down the E string (after a full open A) 2 fret's ending up on a F note and then a quick bar D and back down 2 bar chord's C and Cb then finish on a open A?

So What about the Chorus? Is there an D and a B in there? Or is it Ab and Gb (the walk down note's)?

I'm an acoustic solo act and I sing to. I can get the singing down with out any trouble but I don't know about the guitar part's (yet).

A? I must have been voicing it out of pitch.

So on the verse it's a walk down run in A on the 2nd and 3rd fret starting on the G string and then a run down the E string (after a full open A) 2 fret's ending up on a F note and then a quick bar D and back down 2 bar chord's C and Cb then finish on a open A?

So What about the Chorus? Is there an D and a B in there? Or is it Ab and Gb (the walk down note's)?

I'm an acoustic solo act and I sing to. I can get the singing down with out any trouble but I don't know about the guitar part's (yet).

I do the punch where the drums come in descending from the 7th fret D string. Three notes descending chromatically and then repeated on the A string.

The verse is a tricky lick. Root A string then an octave on the 7th fret D string. It's up to you where you feel most comfortable fitting in the F# in the run.

For the chorus, I fret the A octave on the D string with a C# on the G string. Then slide that down to D# on the D string with a B on the 4th fret G string, slide that down two more times (making an A chord on the 2nd fret on the 2nd one) and end on a D with an F# on the D string.

I'm no good with tabs, but figure it this way: Decend from the 7th, 6th, 4th, 2nd to open D on the D string, while matching that with 6th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd on the G string adding the 4th fret for the D chord.

Make any sense?

I do the punch where the drums come in descending from the 7th fret D string. Three notes descending chromatically and then repeated on the A string.

The verse is a tricky lick. Root A string then an octave on the 7th fret D string. It's up to you where you feel most comfortable fitting in the F# in the run.

For the chorus, I fret the A octave on the D string with a C# on the G string. Then slide that down to D# on the D string with a B on the 4th fret G string, slide that down two more times (making an A chord on the 2nd fret on the 2nd one) and end on a D with an F# on the D string.

I'm no good with tabs, but figure it this way: Decend from the 7th, 6th, 4th, 2nd to open D on the D string, while matching that with 6th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd on the G string adding the 4th fret for the D chord.

Make any sense?

Recon I should have learned to read Tab's, I think I see how your doing it here and I think I've got something worked up, just have to work on singing and playing together.

When I get something recorded I'll post you a link and you can tell me what you think of it OK?

Thanks guy!!!!

Recon I should have learned to read Tab's, I think I see how your doing it here and I think I've got something worked up, just have to work on singing and playing together.

When I get something recorded I'll post you a link and you can tell me what you think of it OK?

Thanks guy!!!!

I am at your disposal my friend! I look forward to it! :beer:

This isn't the sort of song you can fake your way through, so your best bet is to learn to read tab and play the song correctly. Tab is really easy to read; my average beginning student spends about a minute figuring out what the lines and numbers mean, then another five minutes working out finger positions. Next, find an accurate transcription. Internet tabs are dodgy at best and should be avoided at all costs. Power Tab and Guitar Pro transcriptions are usually quite a bit more accurate. The best option would be to buy the Physical Graffiti book; it's out of print, but copies pop up on ebay fairly regularly.

This isn't the sort of song you can fake your way through, so your best bet is to learn to read tab and play the song correctly. Tab is really easy to read; my average beginning student spends about a minute figuring out what the lines and numbers mean, then another five minutes working out finger positions. Next, find an accurate transcription. Internet tabs are dodgy at best and should be avoided at all costs. Power Tab and Guitar Pro transcriptions are usually quite a bit more accurate. The best option would be to buy the Physical Graffiti book; it's out of print, but copies pop up on ebay fairly regularly.

Like I was saying about the stuff I find on line, some time's it's no where near right. Thank's Grand Poobah, I'll keep that advice in mind.

http://www.imeem.com/groups/Igd8LZcB,learning-light/

I made a quick recording of what I have got down right now and stuck it up for you guy's to hear. I think I have these part's right but let me know if you can hear anything off, it's standard tuning and I unfortunately have a set of Phosphorous Bronze (medium) Elixir's on this already bright sounding Yamaha FG730S guitar.

They are brand new string's and are just now starting to brake in, I've found that even coated string's have a (short) brake in time before they start sounding strait, next set will be the regular medium's.

I accidentally put the last part up twice, just to give you a heads up. I don't think I got that soft part just before the chorus where Jone's (or some one) is playing a Clav or something or other to lead into the ... "In The Light" word's of the song.

I got the basic feel of the song down but, I need to polish up the edge's and work more on the part I'm substituting for the Hurdy Gurdy sound's at the front (and the exit). And I still need any of the other stuff I may missing, I think at least 2 or 3 more run's and a few other lick's for sure. I'm going to go ahead and buy the album again in the next week or so as my copy went bye bye about 5 years ago.

These file's started life out as full audio and where converted to MP3's (yuck!!!) when they where ripped to I Tune's before I uploaded them to the web.

Thank's in advance.

:yesnod: Wow! Very niiicce, BonzoLikeDrumer! I especially LOVE the intricate ascending, hammered on notes, right before ya sing "In the light...!" :beer: I have to ask you how ya do that. :D

Thank you very much Fan_S! (you just made me feel better) I'm sorry, but I had a terrible night tonight at an open jam I've been going to for the past three week's at this bar over in Greensboro. Only one song out of three came out good! Oh well, I just have to keep working at it. It is a good bunch of people over their and I still got some enjoyment out of it any way's.

The part your talking about is a run off of an open A chord, I use my pinky finger for the Ab (top string) and my pointer finger for the F# (top string) and then quickly move the pointer back to a fragment of an open E. Then I sort of chunk rake (2 stroke's) over the A, D and G string's (open) slightly muting with the same pointer finger before going to open D at the end.

Can you make any since out of that? That's about the only way I can explain it with out visually showing you.

Thank's again! You made my day!

Thank you very much Fan_S! (you just made me feel better) I'm sorry, but I had a terrible night tonight at an open jam I've been going to for the past three week's at this bar over in Greensboro. Only one song out of three came out good! Oh well, I just have to keep working at it. It is a good bunch of people over their and I still got some enjoyment out of it any way's.

The part your talking about is a run off of an open A chord, I use my pinky finger for the Ab (top string) and my pointer finger for the F# (top string) and then quickly move the pointer back to a fragment of an open E. Then I sort of chunk rake (2 stroke's) over the A, D and G string's (open) slightly muting with the same pointer finger before going to open D at the end.

Can you make any since out of that? That's about the only way I can explain it with out visually showing you.

Thank's again! You made my day!

Well hey BonzoLikeDrumer! :thumbsup: What are friends and fellow musicians for? Thanks for the tips re: the riff re: the open A chord! Yes, I think I understand what you mean by "chunk raking". I will try it. I try a sort of a bastardization of it with cross-rhythm strumming to effect the sound of 2 guitars--one ascending, and the other descending. It is beautiful how Page utilizes the pitches in the D chord to effect this intricate, 2-way melody. Well, I'll try at least. LOL And I'm glad you have the guts to perform in front of a real audience! You seem very good and versatile (I understand you play drums as well.) Whereas I only play in front of my family and close friends, and sometimes, children (some of my close friends are teachers, and I'm a guest player). (And sometimes, pigeons and squirrels after I feed them--just kidding. ;) )

Hi! :wave: So I practiced it a little and came up with a nice mixture of your instructions, bonzoLikeDrumer and Evster's (re: the descent from A, A♭, G♭, E, etc.) I also looked at GrandPoobah's notation. It all fit in, somehow, at different parts of song. :) A nice bastardization. I'm still working on it. Thank you, guys! :)

Well hey BonzoLikeDrumer! :thumbsup: What are friends and fellow musicians for? Thanks for the tips re: the riff re: the open A chord! Yes, I think I understand what you mean by "chunk raking". I will try it. I try a sort of a bastardization of it with cross-rhythm strumming to effect the sound of 2 guitars--one ascending, and the other descending. It is beautiful how Page utilizes the pitches in the D chord to effect this intricate, 2-way melody. Well, I'll try at least. LOL And I'm glad you have the guts to perform in front of a real audience! You seem very good and versatile (I understand you play drums as well.) Whereas I only play in front of my family and close friends, and sometimes, children (some of my close friends are teachers, and I'm a guest player). (And sometimes, pigeons and squirrels after I feed them--just kidding. ;) )

Friend's we all are! :friends: I don't know for sure but it sound's as Jimmy has more than one guitar track in there. I ordered a new copy of the CD but it's not here yet, maybe tomorrow it will get here :stereo: and I can give it a better listen.

I have good night's and I have bad night's, last night was a bad night (make's me feel cruddy for a day or so after ward's), but it's OK really, that's not one of my regular gig's. But I do have one on the 14th of August and on Labor Day week-end so, I'm likely going to skip the jam on next Monday night and just prepare for those show's.

I've not been playing my drum's in a good while, it's easier to get some one to listen to you if your a acoustic guitar player and sing ... nobody want's to sit through a 2-3 hour drum solo!! But I would be willing to do it! :drumz:

Is this the TAB for the keyboard part I'm missing?

I'm thinking it's along the line's of a slow downward run from A (half step to) Ab (whole step to) Gb (whole step to) E (whole step to) D - D - D

Sound right?

Poobah's tab is for the guitar during the verse. I listened to your recordings, and you're almost there. These are the correct notes.

As for the run down leading up to "In the Light", try what I put in my earlier post. It's a hybrid of the keyboard part written for guitar that should add a little more flavor as opposed to just single note decending on the E string to the D chord.

Then there's the ascending A scale when he sings Light light light...but we have time! :D

Archived