Lucifer Rising

I've seen interest expressed in this topic in several places on the forums recently, so I thought it might be a good idea to provide some information about it. I will begin by posting scans from two different sources, i.e. a book by Howard Mylett called Jimmy Page: Tangents Within a Framework (1983), and a feature article from Classic Rock three years ago.

Howard Mylett's treatment of the issue is good as a first introduction, because it sets forth first how Jimmy himself saw Crowley in the 1970's, using quotes from interviews; and second, the basic story of what happened in the actual collaboration of Jimmy and Kenneth Anger on Lucifer Rising.

HOWARD MYLETT ON CROWLEY & LUCIFER RISING

MylettOMSC1.jpg

MylettOMSC2.jpg

MylettOMSC3.jpg

CHRISTOPHER KNOWLES: SYMPHONY FOR THE DEVIL

Many will recognize the allusion to the Rolling Stones in this title. And that's one of the important points that has to be kept in mind here: Jimmy was by no means isolated in his interest in Crowley's ideas in the 1960s - early 1970's.

First the cover of the magazine.

ClassicRockNo96Summer06.jpg

SymphonyOMSC1.jpg

SymphonyOMSC2.jpg

SymphonyOMSC3.jpg

SymphonyOMSC4.jpg

Thanks Otto, I have never read this one before nor have I read Milton so I was unaware of his interpretation of the Lucifer story. Do you happen to know the source of the comment ascribed to Jimmy Page where he compares Lucifer to a field of flowers?

Thanks again for the articles you've posted and keep them coming!

SymphonyOMSC11.jpg

Thanks again, Otto, for the interesting article!

What a coincidence that I am watching Blondie on VH1 Classic right now and I come across this quote from Gary Valentine, one of the founding members of the group and original bass player. And I like what he had to say about Crowley.

My opinion of the Beast is that he was a immature poser. Seems to be the same sentiment as Valentine's.

Archived