U2 To Reissue The Unforgettable Fire

Jahfin

From Pitchfork

In the name! Of historical context! One reissue in the name of historical context!:

u2.jpg

70s babies, time to feel old. This fall, The Unforgettable Fire turns 25. That means U2's fourth album is now old enough to be out of college. Maybe it's in grad school. Maybe it's married. The Unforgettable Fire could have kids by now! And because round numbers are things to be celebrated, U2 is currently prepping a 25th anniversary reissue of the album, due October 27 from Mercury.

The Unforgettable Fire is an undeniably big album, the first U2 album that sounded ready to swallow up the world through sheer grandeur. They recorded it at Ireland's Slane Castle with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno producing, marking their first collaboration with the two guys who would become their go-to producers. The album spawned hits like "Bad", "Pride (In the Name of Love)", and the title track. Along with The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, it's one of U2's canonical albums.

The reissued version of the album has been remastered from the original tapes, with the Edge directing the process. Just like every other big album these days, it'll come in multiple packages. You'll be able to buy it on regular CD and vinyl, and the vinyl will include liner notes from Eno, Lanois, and journalist Bert Van de Kamp. There's also the double CD deluxe edition, which features a 36-page booklet and a second CD of B-sides and unreleased tracks, including two previously unreleased bonus tracks from the Slane Castle sessions, "Yoshino Blossom" and "Disappearing Act". And then there's the limited edition box set version, which will feature both CDs, a DVD of live and documentary footage and music videos, a 56-page hardback book, and five photographic prints.

In other U2 news, they'll be the musical guests on the September 26 season premiere of Saturday Night Live, which Megan Fox will host. And they're on tour now.

In other U2 news, they'll be the musical guests on the September 26 season premiere of Saturday Night Live, which Megan Fox will host. And they're on tour now.

That's a nice pair! Oh yeah, and it'll be great to see U2 on SNL as well! :lol:

Thanks for the update. :peace:

I enjoy ehe album but the fact it was already a bit hit and miss(Pride, A Sort of Homecoming, Bad and the title track standing way above the rest) doesnt really have me wanting to hear B-sdies and outtakes.

I like the album but am more a fan of the War era. Still, some bands' material that was left on the cutting room is just as worthy (if not more so) than what made the albums. In the case of U2 this is particularly true, especially when it comes to songs such as The Three Sunrises, Spanish Eyes, etc. but it also goes for lots of other artists. On occasion an artists' collection of leftovers can be just as compelling as their regular releases. R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office and the recently released The Fine Print by the Drve-By Trucker are but two of several shining examples. Will I be rushing out on the day of release to buy it? Most likely not but I'm still interested in hearing the unreleased songs, just as I am about the Exile outtakes.

Archived