Over The Hills questions

Bluesyzep

I recently went back to learning OTHAFA after being stuck on the intro for a long time. I've made good progress but have some questions about the studio vs. TSRTS.

I'll start with pickup selection. I've been playing it with the bridge until recently. Some parts never sounded right until I switched to the middle pickup. Much better. Now, I was just watching TSRTS video. I wish there were better shots of Jimmy's playing but he seems to start out with the neck and switches to the bridge at some point. Hard to tell. Do I have it right or how do you play it?

I recently went back to learning OTHAFA after being stuck on the intro for a long time. I've made good progress but have some questions about the studio vs. TSRTS.

I'll start with pickup selection. I've been playing it with the bridge until recently. Some parts never sounded right until I switched to the middle pickup. Much better. Now, I was just watching TSRTS video. I wish there were better shots of Jimmy's playing but he seems to start out with the neck and switches to the bridge at some point. Hard to tell. Do I have it right or how do you play it?

Oooo... be careful man, The Song Remains The Same is loaded with studio over-dub's. I don't know for sure but, start out with a Marshall Super Lead in a big ass room with a properly aged 59 Les Paul and some really nice recording gear! Oh, and some one who knows that gear and the song inside and out and you should be golden.

Other wise just get as close as you can. That's what I try and do if I'm wanting to copy something as close as can be. B)

Oooo... be careful man, The Song Remains The Same is loaded with studio over-dub's. I don't know for sure but, start out with a Marshall Super Lead in a big ass room with a properly aged 59 Les Paul and some really nice recording gear! Oh, and some one who knows that gear and the song inside and out and you should be golden.

Other wise just get as close as you can. That's what I try and do if I'm wanting to copy something as close as can be. B)

Thanks for the reminder. My ear is getting better and is helping me progress more but your right. Jimmy doesn't make it easy. Lots of wrong turns to listen for. I'm working on the studio version mainly but there are some arpeggios and some solo stuff from TSRTS that I'd like to add later.

TSRTS isn't much help, but the Earl's Court videos are where you can find your answers...

Basically start with the neck pickup, volume low. When you reach the part, just before the band comes in, where you are sliding the D shape between frets 7 & 9 (high inversions of G to A chords) you start to roll the neck volume up with your little finger. In the split second before the band hits you flip the selector - the bridge pickup has been at full volume, waiting for this moment...

Actually, just off the top of my head, I can't remember if he flips to Bridge alone, or bridge & neck, but the principle is the same. ;)

TSRTS isn't much help, but the Earl's Court videos are where you can find your answers...

Basically start with the neck pickup, volume low. When you reach the part, just before the band comes in, where you are sliding the D shape between frets 7 & 9 (high inversions of G to A chords) you start to roll the neck volume up with your little finger. In the split second before the band hits you flip the selector - the bridge pickup has been at full volume, waiting for this moment...

Actually, just off the top of my head, I can't remember if he flips to Bridge alone, or bridge & neck, but the principle is the same. ;)

huw has it right on the money. B)

For the solo, I believe he has the switch in the middle position to achieve that more nasally sounding tone. He also clicks on the Echoplex for a little slapback delay to give the solo more of a spacey texture.

The ending is the same as the beginning...Jimmy uses the neck pickup and a lower volume.

• 4 months later...

Is there a good tab of this song anywhere? I can't find one that has all the various guitar parts. I am trying to play it by ear which isn't easy as guitar is not my best instrument. Should I invest the money in the complete scores of LZ music?

Archived