Robert Supports CKDCF

ninelives

The Charlie and Kathleen Dunnery Children’s Fund (CKDCF) is a charity organization that raises funds for the health, wellness and educational needs of children in Egremont, Cumbria. The fund was started by Francis Dunnery and honors Dunnery’s parents. To date the charity has raised more than £50,000 and funds have been used for things like hospital beds for children’s oncology wards, constructing libraries, purchasing educational supplies and more.

Robert Plant has donated a signed guitar and will be recording a video message for attendees of the CKDCF Friday night dinner and Saturday night concert. Francis Dunnery, who toured with Robert Plant on the Fate of Nations tour says he never thought of asking Robert for help until now. From the CKDCF website:

CKDCF President, Francis Dunnery says, “Everyone knows how much I love Robert, I had the time of my life working with him. I have never really asked him to help out because it just didn’t enter my head. We don’t get to speak very often because he’s all over the place and so am I but when I saw him with Prince Charles recieving his Royal seal of approval I had to contact him and give him my congratulations”. Dunnery jokes ” Robert’s a Leo so Prince Charles was lucky to meet him”.

Robert has been involved with various charities, including the Nordorf Robbins fund for quite some time. Dunnery says, ” I am very grateful that Robert would lend a hand. It will bring some focus to the CKDCF and help us to support various children’s needs. Everyone at the CKDCF is buzzing that Robert is donating the guitar and video message. Personally, I think this is absolutely fantastic. I’m psyched “.

http://www.ckdcf.org/home.html

I guess he is just the type who's willing to be part of what he thinks are good causes.

TBH, I think he show's a lot of class whenever he does as he seems more willing to actually help out as opposed to trying to gain some publicity for himself

I guess he is just the type who's willing to be part of what he thinks are good causes.

TBH, I think he show's a lot of class whenever he does as he seems more willing to actually help out as opposed to trying to gain some publicity for himself

Absolutely!!!! He does a lot to raise awareness and puts the focus on the charity itself rather than his involvement. :beer:

cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/photodynamic

What is photodynamic therapy?

Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a treatment that uses a drug, called a photosensitizer or photosensitizing agent, and a particular type of light. When photosensitizers are exposed to a specific wavelength of light, they produce a form of oxygen that kills nearby cells.

Each photosensitizer is activated by light of a specific wavelength. This wavelength determines how far the light can travel into the body. Thus, doctors use specific photosensitizers and wavelengths of light to treat different areas of the body with PDT.

1. How is PDT used to treat cancer?

In the first step of PDT for cancer treatment, a photosensitizing agent is injected into the bloodstream. The agent is absorbed by cells all over the body but stays in cancer cells longer than it does in normal cells. Approximately 24 to 72 hours after injection, when most of the agent has left normal cells but remains in cancer cells, the tumor is exposed to light. The photosensitizer in the tumor absorbs the light and produces an active form of oxygen that destroys nearby cancer cells.

In addition to directly killing cancer cells, PDT appears to shrink or destroy tumors in two other ways. The photosensitizer can damage blood vessels in the tumor, thereby preventing the cancer from receiving necessary nutrients. In addition, PDT may activate the immune system to attack the tumor cells.

The light used for PDT can come from a laser or other sources of light. Laser light can be directed through fiber optic cables (thin fibers that transmit light) to deliver light to areas inside the body. For example, a fiber optic cable can be inserted through an endoscope (a thin, lighted tube used to look at tissues inside the body) into the lungs or esophagus to treat cancer in these organs. Other light sources include light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which may be used for surface tumors, such as skin cancer.

PDT is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. PDT may also be repeated and may be used with other therapies, such as surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy.

Archived