Fun with Billboard magazine

swandown

Maybe this is old news for some of you, but I recently discovered that Billboard Magazine's entire archive is available online. And it's searchable.

So I decided to search for our favorite band and here are some of the results I came up with:

November 20, 1968 -- earliest mention of Led Zeppelin I could find

August 9, 1969 -- pic of the Zep/Jeff Beck/Ten Years After jam

June 19, 1968 -- The Yardbirds announce their breakup

August 21, 1965 -- Jimmy gets a blurb in a story about Andrew Oldham

June 5, 1965 -- JPJ on his way to being the next Phil Spector

September 5, 1965 -- The Animals get a thank-you from their managers (Mickie Most, Mike Jeffrey, and....Peter Grant)

Though generally regarded and an industry insider publication, Billboard definately makes a great read for more rabid fans as well.

Thanks for the reminder as I peruse through back issues from 1969. All the adds and many of the various "talent", "top albums", "adds", and general articles are a hoot and some are very cheesy! :D

Here's a small review of Led Zeppelin from their summer of '69 Cleveland show. I hope you can read it.

2zxt3ew.jpg

I like how The James Gang is mentioned as a "local" band! :lol:

Maybe this is old news for some of you, but I recently discovered that Billboard Magazine's entire archive is available online. And it's searchable.

So I decided to search for our favorite band and here are some of the results I came up with:

November 20, 1968 -- earliest mention of Led Zeppelin I could find

August 9, 1969 -- pic of the Zep/Jeff Beck/Ten Years After jam

June 19, 1968 -- The Yardbirds announce their breakup

August 21, 1965 -- Jimmy gets a blurb in a story about Andrew Oldham

June 5, 1965 -- JPJ on his way to being the next Phil Spector

September 5, 1965 -- The Animals get a thank-you from their managers (Mickie Most, Mike Jeffrey, and....Peter Grant)

..indeed it is for me....for other fans....

...FYI - Confirmation from Billboard - Research re. Archival search

- "Information (Chart related) is limited prior to 1983"

- "Billboard on Google is subject to our old inventory. We sent Google loose issues which were scanned by them and put up online. If issues are missing that means we didn’t have them to send to Google. They will not be put up in the foreseeable future."

Edited by PlanetPage