THE FOUR SEASONS

daviebhoy

"THE SPRING":It's 1974, and £5 seemed like an awful lot of money for a thirteen year old to have burning a hole in his pocket.A trip to Menzies was what was needed to get rid of some of it,or maybe all of it!!.

Now here was the dilemma,a brand new Airfix model or a trip upstairs to the record dept.? What's a boy to do?.Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained let's head up those stairs and see what there is.

Slade? damn those boys were good,or perhaps a bit of Bowie,nah he seemed a bit weird, T-Rex? coz that was a great sound and I just knew Mum and Dad hated guys that wore make-up.Then a strange album cover caught my eye,who the hell are Led Zeppelin I thought,sound like a strange bunch but that cover kept drawing me in toward it and eventually I gave in and scurried over to the counter.The guy behind the counter looked at me and smiled,a sort of knowing look almost as though he knew what I was in for,and popped it in a bag for me.

I went scurrying up the road to my house and pleaded with my mum to let me have the record player in my room to listen to my new record.I carried the DECCA record player in to the room and opened the album and put it on.Bang,it hit me,Zep 2 had me by my little balls and it wasn't letting go.The single speaker on the record player was screaming at me and I'd never heard anything like it in my life.Now I understood why the guy in the tenement next to mine called his Doberman "Zep"!!!!!!!!!!!!.

"THE SUMMER": It's 1976,my hair is down to my shoulders and I keep getting weird looks at school and people laugh at my denim jacket covered in Zeppelin patches and "strange symbols",but my small circle of friends all know and all share "the knowledge" that the music is the master and we are heeding the masters call.The summer is spent getting stoned and the occasional bottle of wine in Kelvingrove park with a portable tape recorder and Zep tape playing loud and proud and sitting listening to the Rain Song in those long hot summer nights with the girl of your dreams and a lot of heavy petting going on.Nothing could touch us, we were invincible and life was just great with no worries and no pressure.Except there was this lingering yearning to fulfill a dream to get to see the Zep would be the icing on the cake but there was no chance of that was there?.

"THE AUTUMN": It's 1979 and it's just been announced that Zeppelin are to headline Knebworth,cue a mad scramble to get tickets,to get transport arranged,to get time off from my first job,to get funds to get everything that would be needed.Suddenly it's sorted,and it's July a month to go,the longest month I had ever known (at that time!!!!!!!!!!!!) and the tickets arrive and I'm turning it over in my hand again and again just to make sure that it's real and that it's all mine.August the first and we're heading down to Stevenage on the bus and it's taking for ever.There's 5 of us and we've got tents and sleeping bags and we're praying to the heavens that it's going to stay dry.We get to Stevenage and make our way to the estate and grab a pitch for our tents as close to the fence as possible.Then it's the night before the gig and I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof, a real sense of restlessness and an aching deep down in my guts.Then the gates are open and we're running like fuck to get as close as possible and then it's only 5 O'Clock in the morning and I can't keep my eyes open any longer and have to sleep.I wake at around noon and then spend the next hours before they are on like I'm on fire.Then it gone,like whoosh blink and you miss it and we all sit around after with adrenaline running through us by the gallon and only able to talk about what we've just seen.Memories that are now etched onto my brain like scars on my skin.

"WINTER": John Bonham found dead.There is nothing left to say.

Glad I got that off my chest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a nice way with words; I enjoyed reading that. And in the cycle of life, Springtime will once again follow Winter....

This is the springtime of my loving - the second season I am to know

You are the sunlight in my growing - so little warmth I've felt before.

It isn't hard to feel me glowing - I watched the fire that grew so low.

It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom.

Speak to me only with your eyes. It is to you I give this tune.

Ain't so hard to recognize - These things are clear to all from

Time to time.

Talk talk - I've felt the coldness of my winter

I never thought it would ever go.

I cursed the gloom that set upon us...

But I know that I love you so

These are the seasons of emotion and like the winds they rise and fall

This is the wonder of devotion - I see the torch we all must hold.

This is the mystery of the quotient - upon us all a little rain must fall.

Archived