Closest thing to a Supro..

Down&Out

Hello all.

Now, just to mention, im not merely getting all giddy on the first album 'Zeppelin I' use here, although that is a big factor, another factor is that it sounds ABSOLUTELY INTENSE.

What i want to know, is what is the closest thing to a supro amp nowadays, all the small 15w amps that are sort of vintage stylee that i see on youtube all sound a bit cruddy in comparison

Take a listen to this and you'll know what i mean.

I asked about pedals because I thought the video was yours lol.

I think there are some good amps that can do something similar to that.

For example I like the Vox Night Train, it's a bit different because it has EL84's instead of 6L6's in the power tube section but I love the tone of that amp.

One amp I'm really anxious to see and probably buy is the new Egnater Tweaker, it has 6L6 and is really very versatile as the name suggests.

Or maybe a Fender Hot Rod, Twin Reverb or Bassman. One of those.

For a "modern Supro" it's always worth remembering Bruce Zinky & his amps - not the cheapest perhaps, but he always loved the Supro circuits, and most of the amps he has been involved in building have something of Supro about them. He was with Fender for a while, has his own line of amps & I believe he was involved with some Supro sounding Gretsch amps not too long ago.

check out this one... called Zinky...someone told me it's a good amp, but I don't know much about it

Zinky.jpg

Yeah, I remember a few years ago when my buddies at The Showmakers Guitar shop first got the Smoky amp's. Cool little gimmick, I don't know if they have had any of the Zinky's or not .... Maybe I just don't remember.

• 1 month later...

Archived