• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

From RollingStone.com:

Katrina and the Waves Join Tom Petty's Fight Against Michele Bachmann

Bachmann played their 1985 hit 'Walking On Sunshine' at a campaign event

main.jpg

Steve Pope/Getty Images

By ANDY GREENE

Katrina & The Waves – whose 1985 song "Walking On Sunshine" was played by Michele Bachmann at a South Carolina campaign rally on Tuesday – have issued a statement on their website:

Katrina & The Waves would like it to be known that they do not endorse the use of 'Walking On Sunshine' by Michele Bachmann and have instructed their lawyers accordingly.

The group is the second musical act this week to object to the Minnesota Congresswoman's usage of their music. Tom Petty sent the Bachmann campaign a cease and desist letter after she used his song "American Girl" at her campaign kick-off in Iowa on Monday. At a rally the following day, she played 29 seconds of "American Girl" before "Walking On Sunshine" kicked in. Looks like she'll have to find a third song now. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Rolling Stone has received a statement from Katrina Leskanich, former lead singer of Katrina & The Waves:

As the singer of 'Walking on Sunshine' I don't endorse its use by Michele Bachmann's presidential campaign. I've performed ‘Walking on Sunshine’ for so many years in so many different countries that it’s become the one constant in my life and the one thing I can count on to bring happiness to myself and others. The song is used in commercials and movies as a vehicle for a feel good moment or empowerment but if I disagree with the policies, opinions or platforms for its use, I've no choice but to try and defend the song and prevent its misuse. Music can be both powerful and moving and sometimes even a little dangerous.

Edited by Jahfin

From RollingStone.com:

Katrina and the Waves Join Tom Petty's Fight Against Michele Bachmann

Bachmann played their 1985 hit 'Walking On Sunshine' at a campaign event

main.jpg

Steve Pope/Getty Images

By ANDY GREENE

Katrina & The Waves – whose 1985 song "Walking On Sunshine" was played by Michele Bachmann at a South Carolina campaign rally on Tuesday – have issued a statement on their website:

Katrina & The Waves would like it to be known that they do not endorse the use of 'Walking On Sunshine' by Michele Bachmann and have instructed their lawyers accordingly.

The group is the second musical act this week to object to the Minnesota Congresswoman's usage of their music. Tom Petty sent the Bachmann campaign a cease and desist letter after she used his song "American Girl" at her campaign kick-off in Iowa on Monday. At a rally the following day, she played 29 seconds of "American Girl" before "Walking On Sunshine" kicked in. Looks like she'll have to find a third song now. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Rolling Stone has received a statement from Katrina Leskanich, former lead singer of Katrina & The Waves:

As the singer of 'Walking on Sunshine' I don't endorse its use by Michele Bachmann's presidential campaign. I've performed ‘Walking on Sunshine’ for so many years in so many different countries that it’s become the one constant in my life and the one thing I can count on to bring happiness to myself and others. The song is used in commercials and movies as a vehicle for a feel good moment or empowerment but if I disagree with the policies, opinions or platforms for its use, I've no choice but to try and defend the song and prevent its misuse. Music can be both powerful and moving and sometimes even a little dangerous.

You know what I find most fascinating is that these politicians usually have one thing in common. They almost always lawyers. I am quite surprised that they or someone on their staff is unacquainted with copyright laws.

Good for TP. He always fights the good fight. Something else I love him for.

I think that's what the 29 seconds was about. I'm no legal eagle but I believe she wasn't in violation of the copyright laws by keeping it to 29 seconds. Still, if the artist issues a "cease and desist" order it means cease and desist.

What's particularly mind boggling is how there are apparently no songs by right leaning musicians that the Republicans want to misappropriate as this is only the latest in a long line of similar incidences.

• 1 year later...

By all reports, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers have been killing it on their current 2013 tour, digging up deep nuggets for their setlists and changing it up nightly. Right now, Tom is esconsed at the Henry Fonda Theatre for a week's worth of shows. I'm weighing the possibility of taking my godson(who is a major Tom Petty fan) to one of the shows as another graduation gift.

Here are the setlists for the first two nights at the Fonda...

June 3, 2013;

1. (The Byrds cover)
  2. (Little Feat cover)
  3. Encore:
  4. American Girl
June 4, 2013: