Casette tapes

Bring Them On Back

36 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

I have a couple of shoe boxes full of cassette tapes. Some are cassette singles, but most are blank cassette tapes that I used to tape songs off the radio. Talk about the good old days. I'm probably younger than most people here (I'm 39), but back in my day, we didn't have iTunes and Spotify and Google Play and YouTube to listen to our favorite songs whenever and wherever we wanted to. We had to get creative! I even have a few mixtapes people made for me that I enjoy listening to now and then.

*sigh*

I'd love to be a teenager again, just for a little while.

That is one nice thing about the good ol days with music ... you got to share, which in itself was kind of cool. One of my fav memories is hearing a lot of Zep songs for the first time from a mix tape a friend made for me when I was a junior in high school. I had heard the fourth album on lunch break in the art room and was all over it lol. But instead of taping me the fourth album, he went home and made a mix starting with SRTS and NQ, followed by a bunch of songs from LZ II and then random songs from other bands (I think he felt the element of surprise superseded my wanting to own the fourth album haha).

Anyway, the very first time I heard SRTS and NQ, I was 15, stoned out of my mind in the bedroom with headphones on, incense burning (which fooled no one, room just smelled like weed and incense, shocker) and my eyes closed. I still remember the visuals my brain came up with for both of those songs as I listened for the first time. There's a kind of magic to being surprised with music - and especially with a well-made mix tape. Cue John Cusack monologue from High Fidelity here 😛

• 1 year later...