Movie Coming Out About The Doors

I am a huge Doors fan and am curious to see how they will be portrayed in the film. which is called "When You're Strange". I tend to be a bit skeptical about these types of things but from the trailer it looks like it will be pretty good. Anybody have thoughts on it or heard anything about it?

I am a huge Doors fan and am curious to see how they will be portrayed in the film. which is called "When You're Strange". I tend to be a bit skeptical about these types of things but from the trailer it looks like it will be pretty good. Anybody have thoughts on it or heard anything about it?

It's a documentary narrated by Johnny Depp. It was shown on PBS last week (if you live in the U.S.). It was real good.

It's a documentary narrated by Johnny Depp. It was shown on PBS last week (if you live in the U.S.). It was real good.

You've got to be kidding. I saw it and thought it's the worst documentary I've seen. It starts out as if Depp is trying to catch us up to a certain point in the story by quickly going through some facts about their formation, like how Ray and Jim remet on the beach and so on, but then, to my boring disgust, the entire program goes on like that right through to the inevitable ending of Jim's death.

You've got to be kidding. I saw it and thought it's the worst documentary I've seen. It starts out as if Depp is trying to catch us up to a certain point in the story by quickly going through some facts about their formation, like how Ray and Jim remet on the beach and so on, but then, to my boring disgust, the entire program goes on like that right through to the inevitable ending of Jim's death.

Well, it's a very familiar story so of course Depp wouldn't need to linger there any longer than necessary. Even casual fans must have heard the story of Jim and Ray meeting on the beach in Venice and Jim sings him "Moonlight Drive" and... we've all heard it a bajillion times. I appreciate that DiCillo was trying to do something different.

Didn't you at least like all the footage from Jim's film, Hwy, all cleaned up and sparkling like the desert stars? Us poor Doors obsessives have been making do all these years with grainy video that still has the time code running onscreen.

Well, it's a very familiar story so of course Depp wouldn't need to linger there any longer than necessary. Even casual fans must have heard the story of Jim and Ray meeting on the beach in Venice and Jim sings him "Moonlight Drive" and... we've all heard it a bajillion times. I appreciate that DiCillo was trying to do something different.

Didn't you at least like all the footage from Jim's film, Hwy, all cleaned up and sparkling like the desert stars? Us poor Doors obsessives have been making do all these years with grainy video that still has the time code running onscreen.

Maybe they should have just released Hwy on it's own. The documentary seemed to be more about "Jim" than The Doors anyway. As for DiCillo, doing something different, just another film focusing in on Jim's personality problems doesn't cut it. So it did not impress me as being different....it just came off as a very poor film. It reminded me more of a kid writing a report for his home work and just looking up some facts on his subject, copying them down and handing it in as opposed to actually doing a little more work to make it interesting. Give this a D-.

The difference between a Jim Morrison documentary and Keith Richards documentary is one has the inevitable sad ending an the other comes off as a success story.

I agree that it was little more than a Doors picture show...it's pretty cool that "Light My Fire" was the first song RK ever wrote, going to #1. Not sure anyone else can make that claim.

Yes, Robby was a valuable asset to the Doors as a song writer as well as guitarist.

Maybe they should have just released Hwy on it's own.

Amen to that. Ray has always been very negative on the film, and even though it was made without the other Doors' participation, the band seems to have veto power on the film ever getting released.

The difference between a Jim Morrison documentary and Keith Richards documentary is one has the inevitable sad ending an the other comes off as a success story.

Keith was lucky, Jim was not. It could have gone the same way for Keith as you know; for many years he was the rock star most likely to die. But eventually he cleaned up his act. Jim wasn't given the time.

Amen to that. Ray has always been very negative on the film, and even though it was made without the other Doors' participation, the band seems to have veto power on the film ever getting released.

That is strange, because it's better than one of those films Ray made that's in that Doors DVD collection.

Archived