Jeff Beck Live at UPAC, Kingston NY 06-17-10

bigzepfan

Went to see Jeff last night in my hometown of Kingston, NY. We very rarely get anyone even somewhat decent in our town, but tonight we got Jeff!

Imelda May was the warmup band. I only caught the last few songs but this lady can belt out some tunes. Her band was cool with a standup bass, drums, lead and keyboards.They did an outstanding version of Tainted Love which gave them a standing ovation.

Jeff was a master, as always. He played a similar setlist to the show I saw June 5 in Atlantic City, however Imelda May came out and sang for one song and then the guitar player joined them for the next song.

I was very lucky to even get in as this show was at UPAC. They have annual memberships and ALL tickets go onsale to members first, and then the general public. From what I heard the Bardavon members(The oldest continuously operating theatre in New York State and among the oldest in the nation.) bought all of the tickets leaving zero for the general public. Luckily I know someone who got me fifth row dead center. It's good to know people!

I was able to video only the first two songs and then during Led Boots security came over and told me I had to stop filming. URGHH.

Here's Led Boots - fifth row HD.

and here's nessun dorma-last song of the night with final bows.

At the end I hung around the stage trying to get a setlist. I asked the roadie and he looks around and says there's none left. He was a little pissy because about twenty people already asked him. I pointed out to him that the one under the keyboards is still there and he gave it to me. will post a pic later, but I think it's the same one as wellington show.

After the show I waited by the buses but only saw Rhonda and the drummer. He said there's alot of exciting things to come this year. Rhonda was gorgeous inside and out! Also met an old friend that I went to see Metallica with back in '88(I think).

Overall another fantastic show by Jeff and his band. Tonight they play Rochester NY and they have two shows, one at 8pm and one at 11pm. I'm thinking of going up but it's almost 4 hours away.

Road Trip Anyone?

bigzepfan, what a great description of your evening and the videos are really nicely done! If I lived in NY near you I would definetely take you up on the road trip and I just saw Beck at Chastain Park here on 6/11!! I didn't think it was possible he could get any better, but IMHO he just continues to perfect his playing. :guitar_mood:

bigzepfan, what a great description of your evening and the videos are really nicely done! If I lived in NY near you I would definetely take you up on the road trip and I just saw Beck at Chastain Park here on 6/11!! I didn't think it was possible he could get any better, but IMHO he just continues to perfect his playing. :guitar_mood:

Georgia to NY would be quite the roadtrip! Hopefully one day I'll travel south for a show so our two rock and roll souls can meet up. Come on Jimmy!

Lucky blighter! :) I'd love to see Rhonda play with Jeff; she's really talented.

I wonder why Tal left the band? UPDATE: she's working on her own new album http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/

I wonder the same thing myself, unless she's already got the been there, done that stance.

It is amazing what she has done in only a few short years. Simply amazing. Makes me want to pick up an instrument just in case I have it in me naturally like she does.

I'm sure her new album will be outstandng as all of her work is.

Rhonda was so fun to watch. she really gets into it. She's constantly carressing her bass to get it to produce something like a moaning sound.

It is amazing what she has done in only a few short years. Simply amazing. Makes me want to pick up an instrument just in case I have it in me naturally like she does.

Well, she's worked at it too. She's been playing bass for only several years it's true but before that she was playing and studying guitar for years.

I saw Jeff last night at Cincinnati's PNC Pavillion at Riverbend. Jeff was on fire! So was the audience. It was 96 degrees outside, even at the end of the show at 10:30 PM, and the venue was outdoors. It was swealtering hot. Jeff made a few comments about the heat. He did a little bit of banter with the audience, which is unusual. Today is his birthday, and several people in the audience shouted out an early "Happy Birthday" wish to him.

Highlights for me were A Day in the Life, I Want to Take You Higher, and People Get Ready. Rhonda was fantastic! She sang on a few songs and she has a wonderful voice. The band was very good, wonderful, in fact. Jeff did toss flowers out to the audience at the end. For the last song, he strapped on a black Les Paul and played his tribute to Les, How High The Moon, and he played it to a vocal recording of Les and his wife Mary Ford singing the song. That made it extra special. I also liked the songs where the keyboardist added vocal effects that accompanied the guitar tones. It was very unique.

It was a great concert. I am so glad that I attended, even with the almost 100 degree heat. I liked this performance better than his MSG show in February, as Jeff didn't have to share the stage with Eric, so he was a bit more at ease in his performance. And the Cinci venue was much much smaller and more intimate and Jeff could better relate to and interact with the audience, and he did seem to enjoy his time on stage and he did have a good time last night.

And Happy Birthday to Jeff!

Thanks for the great music!

(a very shaky video)

Review of Jeff's Cincinnati show

Archived