Peter Grant's Kensington Mews Flat

kenog

http://rockpopfashion.com/blog/?p=62

I found the above link featuring Paul Reeves who designed the interior of Peter Grant's Kensington Mews flat in the '70's on a money no object commission. The page shows the finished interior in Ideal Home magazine.

The page brought back memories for me because I visited London as a teenager in May 1975 and went to the Biba store in Kensington which is featured on the page. My next stop was to the Equinox bookshop nearby. I've seen discussions on this site as to when this shop opened. I don't know the exact date, but what I can tell you is that it was definitely open in May 1975. I did not go inside because I knew that my teenage pocket money would not go anywhere near buying the very upmarket books in the window, and I would have been embarrassed if the famous owner was inside.

They were not the type of books that you see in high street book shops. The window was covered so that you couldn't look past the books in the window into the shop, so I looked through the glass front door - the shop was definitely open for trade at that point. The interior was not crammed full of books, but the volumes that were there looked very expensive and rare. What struck me about the premises was that they were well maintained in terms of being freshly painted and refurbished, although in Holland Park I suppose that is what you would expect. In my home city, rare books shops tend to be a bit tatty, both inside and outside.

Edited by kenog

Hi T Y'all,

Am i glad my Misses puts me on a budget when i do DIY around the house, i can now imagine what damage i could do using these types of "Designers" on my home, and am i glad that I'm poor and my Misses is very tasteful, her only downfall was her taste in Men. :lol:

Regards, Danny

Edited by BIGDAN

To me, the entire flat looks like the bizarre design fantasy of a seriously unhappy child. There's an element of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' with some designers. If they are the 'designer of the moment', everyone will say how wonderful their work is, no matter how ghastly.