which is the best bootleg of a zepp concert?

Gazzer

there's quite a considerable catalogue of bootleg recordings of Zeppelin concerts, which are your favourites and why? and which would you nominate as your own personal best of the best from what you have listened to so far.

For me, I think the best bootlegs Iv'e listened to so far would have to be "Mudslide", "Led Zepp 4-1/2", of course "Destroyer", and "The Danish Melancholy Page Boys Get It On"

I like mudslide because its raw full of energy and the recording is pretty good,

Led Zepp 4-1/2 is just a solid performance, sound quality is a little rough round the edges, but to be honest, its a better set than was featured on TSRTS

Destroyer, well what's not to like, probably the finest performance that year during the entire American tour.

Danish Melancholy Pageboys, well this for me is by far the best ever bootleg recording of a Led Zeppelin concert, recorded during warm ups at the Faulkner theatre as the band prepared for Knebworth, the recording quality is such that Jimmy and the boys should do a deal for the master tapes and do some work on this and release it. its one of the best concerts Iv'e had the pleasure of listening to, the tunes are spot on, Roberts voice didn't suffer from nerves as he did on the opening numbers at Knebworth, and it has got probably the very best version of No Quarter ever recorded. the play off between Jones and Page is superb, relaxed, and extremely powerful in all the right places.

so my fave bootleg of all time has got to be The Danish Melancholy Pageboys Get It On.

One bootleg I listened to, and would really like to get a hold of is some obscure concert performed on their first tour of Japan, I listened to a tape, and the recording or the tape was slow, giving Robert a very deep and gruff voice, but there was a medley on there that was truly unbelievable and I have no idea what it was called, if anyone has any ideas about this, and can point me in the right direction.. it would be much appreciated.

There are several other threads about this subject.

Thanks for the heads up, however, Im kind of doing my own research, so want some input if anyone cares to have a go.. sifting through pages and pages of posts is a wee bit tiresome.. blink.gifslapface.gif

One bootleg I listened to, and would really like to get a hold of is some obscure concert performed on their first tour of Japan, I listened to a tape, and the recording or the tape was slow, giving Robert a very deep and gruff voice, but there was a medley on there that was truly unbelievable and I have no idea what it was called, if anyone has any ideas about this, and can point me in the right direction.. it would be much appreciated.

This is probably Osaka 29.9.71, aka 'Fatally Wanderer'. It features a 35 min version of Whole Lotta Love, which could be the medley you refer to. This boot usually appears in collectors' 'Top 20'.

Hi,

I would say very difficult to decide on one my favourites change often at the moment I am listening to Southampton 1973 a lot plus a lot of the 1975 boots.

I have a soft spot for Blueberry Hill, my first bootleg bought in about 1974 at Portobello Road. Nowadays you can download pretty much what you want for free.

Andy

Archived