Guitar Advice

Jimmy Page= King

Basically I bought a rubbish guitar off the internet for about £100, it came with a bag, amp and a few other bits and pieces I needed to get started. I've been playing it for about 10 months and now I want to upgrade to a better guitar. I enjoy playing the blues a lot and quite a bit of rock. So I was wondering if anyone could help me and give me some ideas as to what guitar I should consider buying with a budget of about £200 to £350. The sort of guitarists I'm into ranges from BB King, John Lee Hooker, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, David Gilmour, Jack White and Jimmy Page. Any recommendations would be grateful.

Cheers.

Basically I bought a rubbish guitar off the internet for about £100, it came with a bag, amp and a few other bits and pieces I needed to get started. I've been playing it for about 10 months and now I want to upgrade to a better guitar. I enjoy playing the blues a lot and quite a bit of rock. So I was wondering if anyone could help me and give me some ideas as to what guitar I should consider buying with a budget of about £200 to £350. The sort of guitarists I'm into ranges from BB King, John Lee Hooker, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, David Gilmour, Jack White and Jimmy Page. Any recommendations would be grateful.

Cheers.

I reccomend a Fender Squire Stratocaster that was made in Japan. Although the Euorpian and US and Japanese factories contracted to assemble them were all identical,..the Japanese factories took much greater care in assembleing the electronics, giving it less static, better reliability, and very clear play !! The BB King sound is difficult to copy since his girl is all custom !!

Cheers.

Go for a used Epiphone Sheraton. That's a guitar that will keep you happy for several years. I've been playing one for 23 years and I'm still happy with it. Or get one of those Agile guitars. They get very good reviews:

My link

OK, I'll give you some free advice. If...

Your aiming to, be a full time professional musician working in a band or solo act, you need to save up for a while and spend a lot of money on a good guitar and amp. Any where from $1000.00 (US) to $3000.00 (US) dollar's for your guitar and close to the same amount for the amp. It's not hard to get different sound's from one amp and you can always pick-up an out-board processor(s) for any thing special you want. You also need to try out lot's of gear before you buy as all guitar's are not the same, even if they came off the same assembly line, they will vary some. Some things to look for are, the neck of the guitar, the finish (not just how shiny it is), the electronics's, machine's/bridge and the over all sound/feel of the instrument.

If your buying a true tube amp its tough to say, I'm not an expert on amp's but they have some sensitive adjustment's inside that deal with performance and sound. An all transistor amp is going to be easy to tell right away if it's a good one or not...just listen to it.

Buying something used is a if-y thing too, as you never know what your getting into.

If...

Your aiming to, play once or twice a week (or month) for no one but yourself and your family pet, don't spend much at all, maybe $300.00 or so for your guitar and the same again for the amp.

If...

Your aiming to, be part time playing at the local bar/party, this is where it gets tricky. If you are going to be playing this much you should get a good instrument like the full time professional, but many of these part time guy's don't.

To review, it all depends on your application...just like everything else in life.

Oh, and by the way, I've been a musician (lot's of different kinds of music) for decade's playing part time as a band member and solo act. Been through lots of guitars and gear, I personally like Gibson. I also like Fender, Ibanez & PRS. Marshall, Fender, Trainer, Mesa, Orange, Hy Watt and G&K make good amp's. There's also lot's of custom boutique makers out there so the selection for every thing is wide....just like everything else in life.

Good luck

Archived