Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Pat71

Before watching a documentary about her called "The Godmother of Rock'n'Roll," aired on BBC4 a week ago, I was only vaguely aware of her name as a result of "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" on Raising Sand.

She's incredible! Robert is quoted on another thread as saying he saw her in his youth when she was on the bill with Son House. With Tinariwen and Sister Rosetta Robert's helped shine the light on some life-altering music in recent years.

Check this out:

One of the ALL-TIME GREATS! along with Mahalia Jackson, Bessie Smith, Billie and Ella.

If you saw the great French movie "Amelie", they used part of this clip in the film.

There is an absolutely ESSENTIAL UK label Proper 4-disc box set of Sister Rosetta Tharpe that you must get if you don't have one already

....it's called "Original Soul Sister".

Love the Proper Box sets...4 discs, a separate booklet with cool photos and liner notes and recording information...and all

for around $20-$25.

Some of my favourite Proper Boxes: Stan Kenton...Anita O'Day...Sons of the Pioneers...Hank Williams...Les Paul & Mary Ford...John

Coltrane...Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys.

And, of course, the Sister Rosetta Tharpe one.

Jahfin, seeing your avatar reminds me that Sister Rosetta was apparently Johnny Cash's favourite singer when he was growing up.

As the documentary stressed,though, it was her guitar work on top of her voice and charm that made her so great. She rocked!!

"Strange things happening every day", recorded in 1944, is heralded by some as "the first rock'n'roll record".

Glad to see that her grave in Philadelphia now has a grand headstone, as a result of the proceeds from a tribute concert. There is now a day named after her in Pennsylvania (January 11th).

Archived